Pre-Release Review of 13th AGE (Part 1) by Pelgrane Press

Thanks for the review. A friend of mine pre-ordered this so we should check it out soon. Question though: with all the classes having unique talents and abilities is this game really as rules light and more free wheeling as it claims to be? And And the Monk is definitely worth checking out, as it reminds me of the old AD&D Monk without being a complete worthless mess at love levels. Of...

Thanks for the review.
A friend of mine pre-ordered this so we should check it out soon.

Question though: with all the classes having unique talents and abilities is this game really as rules light and more free wheeling as it claims to be?

And
And the Monk is definitely worth checking out, as it reminds me of the old AD&D Monk without being a complete worthless mess at love levels.

Of course the Monk should be a worthless mess at love levels. He grew up in a cloistered monastery. Monks no next to nothing about romance.

Zil

Explorer
But the actual rules system is not one I'll use I don't think. It still uses healing surges which I don't like (a different name same idea). It also isn't averse to plot coupons in various places.

I'm curious. What are plot coupons? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
The only thing discouraging for me about the pre-order is that it says you get First refusal on the Limited Edition. I emailed and asked what the Limited Edition would entail and how much (more) it would be and they didnt have an answer (I got an email saying they would post details on the site).
I am just the picky kind of person that likes to know that stuff ahead of time.

Revinor

First Post
I wrote a blog about it over on the WOTC boards. It's a complicated subject so maybe best just to read the blog.

My Blog on Plot Coupons

I think that it can be expressed using Forge terminology - you don't like any elements which are not fitting into Simulationist mindset. Additionally, you are limiting the simulation only to 'scientific' part, without allowing simulation to work with things like morale or psychology.

13th Age is not for you in such case. It contains quite strong narrativist mechanism in form of Icons (where you can affect entire plot, not just single action, by rolling dice/spending points). Which, as all other aspects, can be fit into Simulation with a bit of effort, but certainly will cause you a 'dissonance' when you hear a player uttering things like 'I'm using 2 points in my relation with Archmage Icon to try to learn some background about that artefact'.

To be honest, not many pure Sim rpgs are done these days. Rolemaster, (Mega)Traveller - seems that market for these games have shrinked considerably.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I think that it can be expressed using Forge terminology - you don't like any elements which are not fitting into Simulationist mindset. Additionally, you are limiting the simulation only to 'scientific' part, without allowing simulation to work with things like morale or psychology.

13th Age is not for you in such case. It contains quite strong narrativist mechanism in form of Icons (where you can affect entire plot, not just single action, by rolling dice/spending points). Which, as all other aspects, can be fit into Simulation with a bit of effort, but certainly will cause you a 'dissonance' when you hear a player uttering things like 'I'm using 2 points in my relation with Archmage Icon to try to learn some background about that artefact'.

To be honest, not many pure Sim rpgs are done these days. Rolemaster, (Mega)Traveller - seems that market for these games have shrinked considerably.

I think I mostly agree with your analysis of my preferences. I probably wouldn't mind it if someone said "hey I'm going to go into town and see if I can contact an agent of the ArchMage who knows something about this magic item." But I've read 13th Age so I know it's not for me. I liked the icon concept though. I might tone it down a tiny bit but I liked.

As for games catering to my style...

Well Pathfinder is mostly that way. I agree they've slipped in some stuff of late as they keep seeking ways to make more books. But I could play core Pathfinder with a few tweaks. I usually only play core anyway. I'm anti the million classes and races etc.. I could also play a retroclone. I would guess that many retroclones are doing as well as other non-D&D published games.

The new version of Hackmaster might work too. It may be too far my way though even for me :).

I don't let people confuse "modern" with the market. The market for old style D&D pre-4e is very strong.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I have tried to reserve this, but it keeps saying my card is declined ,and I know for a fact 100% it works.

I opened a paypal account for this - it was so worth it. I will be running it this semester in college for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Sounds interesting. Worth checking out on the basis of being OGL alone. Seems like it's been in the pipeline forever; hopefully that means it's well-developed.

Remove ads

Remove ads