• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Precision Strikes (3.5) Question

gilthan3

First Post
ok, so I got my hands on the "Rules Compendium" for 3.5 and it speaks of "precision strikes" or some such. And how they do NOT affect undead, constructs and the like. But it only gives a few examples of it.
Here is my question:
Ranger's Favored Enemy, are undead immune to the +2 damage?
How about Point Blank shot feat?
Both of these hits rely on precision and vital areas.

Itamu

First Post
I don't see anything in the description of either of those abilities that mentions precision or vital areas, favored enemy only mentions knowledge of what your attacking while point blank shot mentions that they're well placed shots although I will meet you halfway on the second saying well place can be construed as precise you have to look more into the RAI of that one than the RAW

Dandu

First Post
Here is my question:
Ranger's Favored Enemy, are undead immune to the +2 damage?
How about Point Blank shot feat?
Both of these hits rely on precision and vital areas.
No they do not.

Point Blank Shot [General]

Benefit

You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet.
Special

A fighter may select Point Blank Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Favored Enemy (Ex)

At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.
At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2.
If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

In addition, note that in the favored enemy table, you can select undead as your favored enemy.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Precision damage is specifically sneak attack, skirmish, and sudden strike. And a few other sporadic things I don't feel like listing out, like the damage from the critical strike spell, and...I think the Swashbuckler's Int to damage. Generally things that don't work on things immune to critical hits or with against creatures with extremely strange anatomies are precision damage.

[sblock]On a side note, Pathfinder allowing sneak attack to affect (corporeal) undead, constructs, and the like was awesome. Shame they didn't address other issues, like being robbed of the class feature by a level 1 spell or that everything that wears gear is immune to your class feature in epic levels.[/sblock]

Herzog

Adventurer
Not what you're asking for, but:

The swift hunter feat allows you to apply your skirmish damage to your favored enemies.

There is also an alternate class feature called Penetrating Strike in Dungeonscape (I think) that allows you to apply half your precision damage to creatures normally immune to it.

Thurbane

First Post
Do note that incorporeal are immune to Favored Enemy damage, however:

INCORPOREALITY said:
Incorporeal creatures are immune to critical hits, extra damage from being favored enemies, and from sneak attacks. They move in any direction (including up or down) at will. They do not need to walk on the ground. They can pass through solid objects at will, although they cannot see when their eyes are within solid matter.

irdeggman

First Post
In 3.0 the ranger's favored enemy damage did not apply to creatures immune to critical hits (like undead) they removed this restriction in 3.5 - hence a ranger's favored enemy damage does apply to undead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads