D&D 5E Predator in D&D?

BigVanVader

First Post
So, not for any particular reason I did this, not for any particular game or campaign. But just to satisfy my own nerdom, I wanted to see if I could make a halfway decent Predator using the PHB and not really deviating from it. Obviously you can make whatever you want with homebrew, but you know what it can be like bringing homebrew stuff to a new DM.

This breaks quite a bit of D&D "lore", but that's fine with me. In terms of class I could have gone Ranger if I wanted, but idk, the Ranger's never really spoken to me in this edition. As crazy as it sounds, you could also go with Paladin if you wanted, if you wanted to be a real tank. You'd choose the Forest Warden thing.

Also, I rolled for his stats and got what I got, but obviously it'll vary with what you roll up. Or you could just play it safe and go with the default array in the book.

On to the build!

Name: Forest Hunter
Race: Dragonborn(Yautja)
Class: Barbarian
Background: Wanderer
Quest: To retrieve many of his lost trophies and artifacts from his crashed ship. Eventually, find a way off this planet back home. And in the mean time, earn new trophies, and hunt the strongest game available.
Lvl: 1
HP: 14
AC: 14
STR: 17 (+2 due to Dragonborn)
DEX: 15
CON: 15
INT: 11
WIS: 10
CHA: 15
Saving Throws: STR, CON
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Rages: 2
Rage Damage: +2

Size: Medium

Height: 7'0(This is short for a Yautja, they're supposed to be like 8 feet and weigh as much as a gorilla. But I don't want to go really against the PHB if I can help it.)
Weight: 300 lbs

Speed: 30 feet

Languages: Common, Yautja and Draconic (My only major departure from the rules. 'Yautja' obviously isn't a language, but whatever. For the others, I figure his little translator device, or some sort of technology let him learn languages by observation. Or something, who knows.)
SKILL PROFICIENCIES:
From Barbarian: Intimidation, Perception
From Outlander: Athletics, Survival

Equipment:
Pike(Combistick): 5 gp, 18 lbs, 1d10 piercing. Heavy, reach, two-handed.
Sickle(Wristblades): 1 gp, 2 lbs, 1d4 slashing. Light.
(4) Javelins: 5 sp, 2 lbs, 1d6 piercing. Thrown (range 30/120)
Explorer's Pack(10 gp): Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it

RACE BENEFITS

Draconic Ancestry: Bronze, Lightning

Breath Weapon(Plasma Caster). You can use your action to exhale(Shoot) destructive energy. Your draconic ancestry determines the size, shape. and damage type of the exhalation(blast). When you use your breath weapon(plasma caster), each creature in the area of the exhalation(blast) must make a saving throw. The type of which is determined by your draconic ancestry(individual caster's design). The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save. and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level. 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level.

After you use your breath weapon(caster), it overheats and you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Damage Resistance: You have resistance to the damage type associated with your draconic ancestry(caster type.).

CLASS BENEFITS
RAGE In battle, you fight with primal ferocity. On your turn, you can enter a rage as a bonus action. While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:

-You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.

-When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.

-You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

If you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.

Once you have raged the number of times shown for your barbarian level in the Rages column of the Barbarian table, you must finish a long rest before you can rage again.

UNARMORED DEFENSE While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

BACKGROUND FEATURES:
FEATURE: WANDERER You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Well, that's it. Although I had another idea if someone wanted to make a related character, of taking the Black Dragonborn, and making that a Xenoborn. Wet and drooling, crawling up walls and being genetically modified and tampered with, so that you can weaponize that acid blood and spit it at people. C'mon, that would rule.
Anyway, what do you think? What are some of your ideas?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
For a Predator I was thinking a Ranger fits it much better than a Barbarian. The Predators are more cunning hunters than roaming berserkers. Also, I think they really should prioritize proficiency in Stealth due to the iconic Camo feature (which would also fit in with the Ranger's ability to Hide in Plain Sight).

Remove ads