Prediction of a gaming boom/ Edition discussion

kenobi65

First Post
Baragos said:
I also think D&D 8.5 will include a holographic projector for running battles, where the "miniatures" become animated and attack each other.

"ROOOOOOOAR!"

"He made a fair move; screaming about it won't help."

TheGM

First Post
Frukathka said:
I can't imagine 8th edition being that close. I suspect Hasbro or whoever has the license will stay true to a new edition every nine to ten years. I hope.

Wanna make a bet on that? :uhoh:

I figure that old-time games like 1E,2E, and 3E will see a huge comeback, and prices for those old OGC books will go through the roof on E-Bay.

All gaming will end up online because "Those old farts in my nursing home are power gamers".

Calling someone who is old and wrinkled "Timmy the Power Gamer" will actually be funny.

More emphasis will be placed on Roleplaying because it's so easy to imagine things.

pogre

Legend
Has anyone run a game in a retirement home? It might be very rewarding. I've met my share of excellent bridge players in their 80s so I don't think the rules are that big of a hurdle.

My own group has three people in their forties and the majority are in their mid to late thirties. I really see no reason to stop gaming later in life.

TheGM

First Post
Frukathka said:
What you think theres going to be a new edition every five years? Even so we'll still probably be playing 6th edition. Not 8th.

Regardless whether we like it or not, the corporation must be profitable. Profit mostly comes from core books. Either the game grows fast enough to provide that growth, or new versions with 'improvements' must come out. That likely means less than 5 years, maybe as little as 3, on average. Hopefully they find another route to the same end, but better to have more frequent releases than have the company sold off and minimized because it wasn't profitable.

That would put us in 8.5, roughly.

Baragos

First Post
Imagine a retirement home called Castle Greyhawk :) Or Mud Sorcerers' Tomb...

When the old people die, their skeletons are left for "atmosphere" :)

Turanil

First Post
Everything will happen on the Transnet-Infosphere, and tabletop gaming will be a thing of the past. Hideous dungeon-punk style will be the classics, while younger people won't be able to see the difference with the real and virtual world, as the matrix will a layer of false sensory imputs over reality (you walk in the street wearing a device that changes who you meet and what you see to something else, so you can live in a dungeonpunk world while your interlocutor is in the conceptual art fad, etc.)

der_kluge

Adventurer
I wonder if we'll all continue to play 16 year old orphans, whose parents have been inexplicably killed by orcs when we're 70 years old.

Or will we all play curmudgeony old fighters who constantly tell all the kids in town to get off of our lawns!

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
*chuckles* I think I am the only one so far that already is retired.. so lets see some of the bad habits I have now..

Do you remember when the 1e hardcover was a new release? Now a days everyone talks about good drow and old sages but the fad back then was to have your mage named Yoda.

Remove ads