• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prefer to Watch Movies at Home or the Theatre

Where do you prefer to watch a movie?

• At Home

Votes: 39 44.8%
  • At the theatre

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • Other, Please explain

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Poll closed .

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
What is really cool is the speciality theaters that don't allow children and serve drinks. That is my kind of theater! No kids and a tall cold beer. Ahh nirvana!

I can't count the times I've had to supress the urge to scream, "Get that f'ing brat out of the theater!" as someones kid just wailed away and the parent did nothing.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
diaglo said:
at the drive in with my hottie wife
Sure, but presumably you're not there for the film. ;)

IYKWIM - ah, forget it.

Anyway, like both, but prefer theater in general, though the prices are . . . significant (or can be).

I don't get the talkers and the texters and the phoners. It's not a social experience. It's a movie. The social part happens after. Go, find friends, talk, be at peace. During the movie, shaddap! If these are people you'd much rather be speaking to, go find them, and speak to them! Elsewhere!

Though some of the talkers in some of the theaters have been simply crazy. Nuts, that is. Insane. Can't get 'em to shut up because they're not hearing you say, "Hush!" They're listening to the voices tell them what to do.

Like Flexor the Mighty, I dig the theaters where you can enjoy a frosty cold brew, but the regular theater's o.k., too.

Warrior Poet

Ranger REG

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
What is really cool is the speciality theaters that don't allow children and serve drinks. That is my kind of theater! No kids and a tall cold beer. Ahh nirvana!
Meh. Sounds close to Nirvana. If I can watch movies in a theater in only my skivvies, then I'm on Cloud Nine. :p

Sighs. We need a clothing-optional movie theater in our neighborhood.

DonTadow

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Meh. Sounds close to Nirvana. If I can watch movies in a theater in only my skivvies, then I'm on Cloud Nine. :p

Sighs. We need a clothing-optional movie theater in our neighborhood.
They have those, their in the red light district :D

Kanegrundar

Explorer
DonTadow said:
They have those, their in the red light district :D
Like the place Pee Wee got busted in? No wait, that place required clothing or he wouldn't have gotten busted...

Some dead horses just deserve a good beating! :D

Kane

sunbeam60

First Post
All right, if we're gonna share war-stories and show scars of bad movie-going experiences, try this on for size:

We're going to go see We Were Soldiers, which is just about as dark and brooding and serious movie as they come. My house mates and I all agree on the jerkometer running pretty high at our local cinemas, so we chose a late showing to cut out the 13-year old texting crowd.

What we got instead was a serious dose of the drunken man crowd. Squared.

We get there and find our seats somewhere in the middle of the cinema; optimal position to take advantage of the sound system. And then, during the opening credits, the doors spring open and a guy and his girlfriend walk in and start looking for seats, two three rows in front of us. It takes them 3-4 minutes to choose seats because the girlfriend isn't happy about something-or-other.

They finally sit down, and my Canadian friend (who like most North Americans tell people when something annoys them as oppose to us coy Europeans) and I exchange glances and somehow can't help but suppress a smile. We already know this guy is going to ruin this movie and it's kinda ironic because we fought so hard to avoid it.

And then, a minute after the couple sit down, the guy starts talking to his girlfriend. In a regular voice, not even hushed. Three rows up my temperature gauge is slowly rising; pressure cooking, thinking "it's gonna blow ... it's gonna blow".

And then, the guy starts smoking. In a no-smoking theatre. Thin stream of silvery smoke curls up into view. The PSIs increase, my pulse rate increasing now, getting ready to do something, to shut the guy up, or shoot myself, or leave or just anything.

Fzzt! A beer is opened by the guy. Somehow this isn't suprising because we've been smelling beer for a while and the guy's speech is pretty slurred.

Right, I lean forward, and instead of starting at my usual "Excuse me, I'm really enjoying this movie but I find it hard to keep enjoying it with you talking. Could you possibly conduct your conversation outside of the theatre" I go straight to:

"Listen, :):):):):):):), why don't you just SHUT THE :):):):) UP!". It takes the guy a little while to register someone could have the audacity to speak to him. He turns around and says "well, what the :):):):) are you going to do about it?"

"Well", I reply, "right now nothing, but just shut the :):):):) up so I can watch the movie in peace".

That gets me pretty pumped up. I'm not usually this confrontational, but at least I have a few silent minutes to calm down and get back into the movie.

Then, the dickhead starts again. And then he drops his can of beer.

And then ... then, my Canadian friend just overheats and explodes. He jumps three row of seats (all empty, the cinema was pretty quiet except for this dickhead), so he's lying flat across three seats and then YELLS straight into the guys face:

"SHUT THE :):):):) UP! YOU'VE BEEN TOLD ONCE, AND NOW YOU'VE BEEN TOLD TWICE! IF WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU THREE TIMES, IT'S GOING TO INVOLVE YOU GETTING HURT".

Despite being angry as well, the whole situation is just comical. My friend is lying sprawled across three rows of seats, his long slender body bending at the resting points like a sheet covering chairs in an empty house. He's literally screaming into the guys face, in the middle of the movie, his right hand either pointing into the guy's face like an angry teacher's or slapping an empty seat to underline his words. The guy's girlfriend has jumped out of her seat and is standing in their aisle looking like she has NO IDEA of what's going on.

And then, like an angry snake curling up after its first attack, my friend slithers back over the rows and assumes his normal viewing position next to me.

Might be funny now, but back then I was SO angry at this dickhead and ready for just about anything. Luckily the guy takes a hint, gets up and leaves while shouting obscenities our way.

When the movie was over we were all pretty certain the guy would be waiting outside, but it was all quiet, like nothing had ever happened.

That night, I decided the cinema sucked and I'd try to stay away from it.

Nighthawk

First Post
Home.

I do not have a quality home entertainment system but I still prefer home. It's not even close. Now that I think about it, it's a bit surprising. Heh.

Orius

Legend
sniffles said:
I know babysitters are expensive, but I never understand why anyone would want to take an infant or toddler to a movie. The child doesn't get anything out of the film, and the parents may spend the whole film being distracted by the child instead of getting to enjoy the movie themselves.

It's even worse when they take young kids to a movie that is totally inappropriate for children in the first place. Young kids are often frightened or whatever by the movie, and the parents are just too damn stupid to understand the ratings system to realize this film might be completely inappropriate for their little bundles of joy. And then they bitch afterwards about how the movie was bad for their kids, and in those cases I find my hands itching for a nice sturdy baseball bat.

Luckily, I have to say I've avoided most of the really bad theater experiences. The local audiences seem to have a low degree of rudeness. Maybe it's because I usually catch the matinees, but I've attended several weekend showings of movies with large crowds and have experienced few jerks.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I work with a person who takes her 1st grader to all kinds of movies. I asked her about it one time and her reply was, "Well, my husband and I wanted to see it, and he is very mature for his age, he understands that the movies are not real." I have learned to avoid the topic now rather than risk saying something I shouldn't say to a co-worker.

On another note, the Boston Globe had an article about the movie slump yesterday. They have it posted online here (note: you may need to register on the website to read the entire article, they are annoying about that sometimes).

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2005/06/26/are_the_movies_dying/?page=1

reveal

Adventurer
Orius said:
It's even worse when they take young kids to a movie that is totally inappropriate for children in the first place.

Star Cinema has a promotion called "Baby Box Office." It's a movie that is played every Tuesday at 10am and is a little softer than normal with the lights in the theater made a little brighter than normal. When I first saw this, I thought it was a great idea; then I saw what movies they played. Here are some examples:

The Bourne Supremacy
Batman Begins
Star Wars: Episode III
Bewitched
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Mr & Mrs Smith
The Perfect Man

:confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads