• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Preferred way to build your characters:

What is your (PREFERRED) way to build your characters

• Motivation/High Concept: (e.g. I want to play someone seeking redemption and revenge!)

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Background First: (e.g. I shall play a Prince of a disgraced house!)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Race/Visual First: (e.g. I want to play a young, aloof elf!)

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Class First: (e.g. I want to play a Fighter!)

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Stats First: (e.g. I want to play with high DEX & INT)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mechanics First: (e.g. I want to dual wield Short Swords)

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • It’s always a Gnome Paladin with dual Rapiers!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Mix (because the fence is comfortable)

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • Other – Please use the comments

Votes: 9 8.4%

Satyrn

First Post
With the latest character it was "wizard in heavy armor, with a high concept based on the visuals inspired by the knight background."

That covers every poll option except stats.

I chose the fence.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm not sure how I decide on what to build.

Sometimes I've gone, "I want a fighter", and then built a fighter and chosen options such as race and background to suit at the time. This could lead to a human fighter folk hero using sword and board or a halfling criminal fighter dual wielding shortsword and dagger.

Sometimes I have a concept already in mind like stereotypical wizard with sage background.

Other times, I find a piece of artwork, think it is cool, and develop something from that. I sometimes do the same with fictional characters (currently thinking of how I would stat the characters from battlechasers).

Lastly, I will sometimes look at the role. If a particular niche needs to be filled, I might look at filling that but it can lead to many different results. If we need a healer it could lead me to be any class that has access to healing spells (bard, cleric, druid, ranger, paladin).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
For me it's definitely a Mix or fence as it was called. Or more accurately an Amalgamation. I start with a concept, start refining the classes and feats that I want.

This is a back and forth that typically is just how much Fighter, Ranger, and Barbarian do I want on this character. At this point something i think is mechanically interesting can go and rewrite the concept I had at the beginning. This is the source of the mix.

Stats are immaterial as I almost always shoot for 14+ in every stat but Charisma.

Once I have it down, Background is the hardest part to nail down. I like putting a lot of care into: Where did my character come from, and why did he start adventuring.

S

Sunseeker

I typically pick a class, and go from there. Sometimes it's start with a character concept first and then see how that fits.

Nevvur

Explorer
I'm class first, too, though I haven't been on the player side of the game very often. Also, I was surprised this choice ranked as high in the polls as it did.

My choice is based on two things: what the party needs to create a diverse skill set, and what I haven't played before. Ideally I can find a class that satisfies both goals.

ro

First Post
I chose "class first", because I like trying out the different mechanics. I always try to maximize my character's features, but I am very party-focused: I don't want to be the focus but to be a productive member of the team and help out the party as best I can. Also, I tend to make choices for the fun of things rather than maximizing output, but I want a solid build to fall back on when needed.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

When I get to play "D&D" (a true rarity!), I roll 3d6, in order. If the stats truly suck, I'll roll again after asking the DM. Same thing. If, after a third roll of 3d6 in order, I still don't have a viable character (fyi "8, 8, 12, 10, 7, 9" *is* a viable character for me), I'll bump it up to ONE set roll of 4d6, keep 3, in order. I play this character no matter what the results.

So, I was going to take "Stats First", but I don't pre-determine "I want DEX and STR" or any such nonsense. I take what I get, letting the dice fall where they may. From there I start flipping around until something catches my eye...of which stats rarely play into it. Counter intuitive? Maybe, but the way I see it, sometimes life tosses something at you that you don't have much choice but to pick up...even if you suck at it or hate it. I've played many a character who would have been better for some particular race or class, but someone was already covering that/those bases in the party. I've had a lot of Magic-Users with high Strength and/or Constitution scores for some reason...but every single one of them was a unique character. Then again, there was this one time when my (late) wife was DM'ing and a friend and I both rolled up our characters before actually asking what the other was playing. We were the only players...and we both rolled up 1st level Magic-Users. In Basic D&D. With Wisdom scores of, iirc, 4 for him and 5 for me. Our first monster we encountered was an Ogre. We both lived. O_O Viva la Sleep spell!

Anyway, yeah, stats first, 3d6, in order, then I just pick what feels right or interesting, regardless of effectiveness, so to speak.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

ccs

41st lv DM
A mix. Sometimes I have an idea in mind, sometimes I have a cool mini handy, sometimes I want to play an ____.
But I'm flexible. Wich is good because my preferred way to generate stats is rolling....

So what generally happens is I roll 1 set of stats (we usually use 4d6drop1, arrange as you please) & see what they inspire.
A viable set of stats for me is anything the dice produce. I roll it? I'll play it.

What I won't do is make a character just to fill a hole in the party. If the other players wanted an ____? Then one of them should've made one. They didn't, thus the hole.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads