• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pregens for an 11-year-old's Birthday party?

jhkim

Explorer
So, while my friend J and her daughter Ellie were over, Ellie asked me to run a D&D adventure for her and her friends at her birthday party this coming weekend.

I've got the Basic Game boxed set, but I think there are going to be 7 players -- and my boxed set only has four character sheets. They're pretty nice, with explanations of the stats alongside each along with a nice picture.

So the question is -- where can I get more like these? Anyone have a source for simplified pregenerated character sheets? Any other advice for running a D&D game for a bunch of 11-year-olds? I've run RPGs for kids before, but I'm not very up on D&D.

Wik

First Post
Why not just double up on the characters? You can have TWO rogues, you know... just change their names, really. I think, with seven characters, that you can get away with doubling all the encounters, too.

Wik said:
Why not just double up on the characters? You can have TWO rogues, you know... just change their names, really. I think, with seven characters, that you can get away with doubling all the encounters, too.

I'd go with this. Maybe change a few of the skills/feats/abilities around if you want the 2 Rogues/Fighters/etc., to be more different than just a name. Chances are that 11 year old girls will be more interested in the character's appearance, mannerisms and name than what the character's stats are.

Olaf the Stout

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Olaf the Stout said:
Chances are that 11 year old girls will be more interested in the character's appearance, mannerisms and name than what the character's stats are.

Olaf the Stout

I concur. At least, that's what my little sister was like when I ran her through a session several years ago. She ended up rescuing a handsome prince from pirates with her swashbuckling bard character, Tara.

Of course, not all girls (or boys, for that matter) are the same.

---
My best advice is to keep things moving, and keep it exciting.

jhkim

Explorer
Sound of Azure said:
I concur. At least, that's what my little sister was like when I ran her through a session several years ago. She ended up rescuing a handsome prince from pirates with her swashbuckling bard character, Tara.

Of course, not all girls (or boys, for that matter) are the same.

My best advice is to keep things moving, and keep it exciting.
Well, duh as far as keeping it moving and exciting.

Ellie is a pretty competitive boardgame player -- she beat me at Carcassone last time we played. And she specifically asked for D&D. I think she wants to know the rules and have run -- though she is also interested in what the character looks like and so forth.

So as far as the nice character sheets -- I could scan one of the sheets and put in a new picture, but it would be a bit of a pain.

jhkim said:
Well, duh as far as keeping it moving and exciting.

Ellie is a pretty competitive boardgame player -- she beat me at Carcassone last time we played. And she specifically asked for D&D. I think she wants to know the rules and have run -- though she is also interested in what the character looks like and so forth.

So as far as the nice character sheets -- I could scan one of the sheets and put in a new picture, but it would be a bit of a pain.
Yeah but that's probably the best your gonna be able to come up with. The basic set is the 'gateway drug" to get you hooked in to the "real stuff". I haven't found anything else that even comes close to emulating it, you could almost call it "D&D Light". It may be a pian, but I really don't see much of an alternative. Sorry.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I just did this in February. Here is what I did:

I generated characters for each child independently. I posted here and on Hordelings asking for ideas for cool magic weapons that could power up to become very powerful. I ran a scenario where the Purple Dragon Knights asked them to check out how some bad guys were moving around so quickly. They were to be teleported somewhere by a War Wizard, but the spell went awry and they ended up somewhere else. This is where all the work came in.

I built a tower and terrain out of Heroscape to be the tower that held teleporters. They had to defeat a couple of werewolves and wolves and dire wolf to get control. Then, they teleported from that tower to a series of locales I had built. This allowed me to allow them to have as many encounters as they could fit it, without me having to worry about them finishing the adventure. An hour before the end of the party, I had them teleport to the final scene.

Here are the scenes:
Heroscape tower and terrain
This had werewolves, direwolf, several wolves - it was a practice scenario for the kids that had not played.

Ruined fort using Hersoscape walls, styrofoam, plastic trees, real rocks....on the two maps of the ruined fortress that came in the forgotten locations set.
They faced orcs, lots of orcs, that were sacrificing a unicorn. After they won, they disagreed what to do next, and camped. A bullette woke them up.

Two Megablock ships.
Half were teleported to one ship, half to the other. Each crew argued that the other was evil, and the kids couldn't figure out what to do, until the sahuagin showed up!

Underground lair, built using styrofoam, and the mushroom map and drow outpost map.
Faced off against Yuan-ti. The big bad Yuan-ti stood next to a pruple piece of styrofoam that pulsed every round and healed him and made him stronger. I had scattered lego weapons around, some of which were cursed and allowed the Yuan-ti to take them over. They had to figure out how to save their friends, while their friends attacked them.

We had also built a dragon graveyard using megablock dragon parts and the dragon graveyard map. They did not have time to run this one. They would have faced dragons.

We (my wife mostly on this one) also built a colesium with hundreds of lego people sitting in the stands. They would have faced random cool monsters in a battle, but we ran out of time.

The final scene featured the Gartgantuan Blue that my mom had bought as a gift for my son. They appeared in a terrain with some real rocks, but that was about it. The upper terrain was desert, but the lower terrain (I had put one map up on books to be about 5 inches higher) was a hallucinatory terrain of ice. When they got to the lower terrain, I shook the table a couple of times while their characters were trying to figure out what was going on. Then I pulled out the real desert map (the G blue map) and the G Blue, and told my son it was his present from his grandmother, which was about to kill the whole party. Before this, I had upped all their hitpoints, AC, and special weapons.

There are picturs of some of the scenes here:

I highly recommend this as a scenario, as it allows you to teach the game, have them have constant fun, but allows you to control the timing and other aspects.

Each kid got a d20 and the weapon dice for his character to take home, along with item cards from Paizo and their character sheet.

masshysteria

Explorer
Not D&D, but pretty close. The original d20 Star Wars game had a boxed set and it was great. Each class has two versions with a large picture and easy to read stats. The rules are simplified and the adventure takes place during the events of Episode I. It was called The Invasion of Theed. I'm not sure if you could find it for this weekend or if the girls would want to play Star Wars, but I ran it for a couple young boys and they loved it.

Otherwise, wasn't there a bunch 1st level characters once posted on the wizards site for world wide D&D day or something like that?

Kaodi

Hero
Not that I am an expert by any means, but if one is going to operate on the stereotypical assumption that girls don't care about stats, shouldn't one also be operating on the stereotypical assumption that girls are going to compare character sheets and say crazy stuff like, " ZOMG! Our characters, are like, almost the exact same! LAME! " ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads