• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pregnancys risks/complications from a tiefling baby?

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
So my DM and i were playing with ideas as a joke and i apparently brought up a good point he didnt think about. If a player character is pregnant with a child who is a tiefling, what actual risks could arrise?

Fair warning:
The following may get graphic with anatomy information and real life references to what happens in a pregnancy.

So my first thought was: do the babies have horns? If so, the damage could be irreparable without a cleric. The blood loss from a creature with horns exiting the body would kill the mother. Easily. As it stands a human child can tear a mother's privates and cause severe bleeding, but imagine horns on top of that! Not even counting other complications like the baby getting stuck and a c section beimg required.

Or goat legs! I bet the hooves would be soft like baby horses but still.

Then umbilical chord issues, if the baby is overgrown as can happen with gestational diabetes, and so many other things to think of... like, really, how likely is the mother to die?

Discussions, comments, thoughts?

Richards

Legend
Given that real-life creatures with horns/antlers (deer, moose, bison, elk, etc.) aren't born with them already intact, I would image the same would hold true of tieflings. Even the ones who eventually end up with those enormous, wide-spanning horns probably don't start growing them until they reach a certain age, long after birth.

Johnathan

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Given that real-life creatures with horns/antlers (deer, moose, bison, elk, etc.) aren't born with them already intact, I would image the same would hold true of tieflings. Even the ones who eventually end up with those enormous, wide-spanning horns probably don't start growing them until they reach a certain age, long after birth.

Johnathan

This, or otherwise tiefling mothers have massive regeneration or it is no more complicated than normal. Otherwise tieflings would not be reproductively viable.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
They might need special magical defenses at birth as otherwise fiendish patrons of distant ancestors may turn up looking for the promised offspring. "I offer all male descendants born in the spring" kind of thing.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Any birth process that kills the mother is heading down the road to extinction very fast. (This is why such children are very rare and the birth requires magical assistance).

I think that metaphysical complications might be more interesting than physical ones. Though tieflings may not necessarily be evil, they are still touched by it, and this could show itself during the pregnancy. The mother (or even the father) may find herself or himself more drawn to, influenced by, or attracted to (or attracting) evil.

Maybe its a thing that tiefling mothers-to-be are always visited by hellhounds. Maybe they can't tread on holy ground during the pregnancy. Maybe they have an evil aura as per detect evil.

Mallus

Legend
I think that metaphysical complications might be more interesting than physical ones. Though tieflings may not necessarily be evil, they are still touched by it, and this could show itself during the pregnancy.
Damn you beat to me to it!

My first thought was "It's common for mothers expecting Tiefling babies to experience 'morning sadism' during the first trimester."

Metaphysical complications are definitely the way to go. I mean, if you're hell-bent on going down this path, which probably isn't a good idea in the first place. :).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads