Prehistoric Monsters!

kibbitz

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Because that's the real name of the creature he's statting?!?...

He didn't make this up, it's a real fossil.

And it's hardly a worse name than Utahraptor for a D&D creature.

:confused: Umm, I think you misùnderstood me. I know that's its real niame, I'm just asking for the origin of its name, as in which Andrew it was named for?

PS: Are you the same Joshua Dyal who wrote a few sets of fan-fics or am I mistaking you for someone else?

Oh, well that's a different issue. Andrewsarchus is named after Roy Chapman Andrews, often called "The Indianna Jones of Paleontology." He led the first western expedition into the Gobi, and discovered, among other things, the first dinosaur eggs ever found.

As for fanfics, what kinds of fanfics do you mean? I did write some years ago, that are still hosted by Geocities or something somewhere. But they weren't D&D fanfics of any kind.

kibbitz

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Oh, well that's a different issue. Andrewsarchus is named after Roy Chapman Andrews, often called "The Indianna Jones of Paleontology." He led the first western expedition into the Gobi, and discovered, among other things, the first dinosaur eggs ever found.

As for fanfics, what kinds of fanfics do you mean? I did write some years ago, that are still hosted by Geocities or something somewhere. But they weren't D&D fanfics of any kind.
Ah, that is exactly what I'm looking for :) Guess I need to be more careful when wording my questions :( BTW, I was referring to a particular Street Fighter fan-fic (The World War)?

My goodness, yes, that is mine! I haven't heard anything about that in years! I've been meaning for a long time to go through it for a final edit and clean-up but never got very far. Of course, it is complete as is, just not polished. At this point, though, I haven't done anything in so long and I doubt seriously that I ever will.

Wow, that's funny. Small world, huh? Even on the Internet.

kibbitz

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
My goodness, yes, that is mine! I haven't heard anything about that in years! I've been meaning for a long time to go through it for a final edit and clean-up but never got very far. Of course, it is complete as is, just not polished. At this point, though, I haven't done anything in so long and I doubt seriously that I ever will.

Wow, that's funny. Small world, huh? Even on the Internet.

Thought the Internet was supposed to make the world smaller by bridging the gaps between continents and people :) I've been lurking around the board for ages and I just noticed you recently (couldn't post due to Net probs). Never thought I'd meet you here though :)

Back on track, SHARK, assuming one makes a complete set of armour from hide, what would it be like? I meian, I cian come up with my own rules for this, but I'd like to see how you handle rules for this.

mmadsen

First Post
Mmadsen, and Joshua, I hope you like it!

It's funny, because if someone had proposed an elephant-sized wolf with hooves, I would've tossed it aside with a quick laugh -- but since I now know these things really walked our earth, they've got "cred".

I have to agree with Joshua Dyal though; they're a bit high-power. I may have to use your stats for Dire Andrewsarchi. ;)

And to think, I thought Polar Bears were scary.

WSmith

First Post
mmadsen said:
It's funny, because if someone had proposed an elephant-sized wolf with hooves, I would've tossed it aside with a quick laugh -- but since I now know these things really walked our earth, they've got "cred"

mmadsen, remember one of the threads, I don't remember if it was the "Little Changes..." or "D&D for children" but This sounds like a perfect creature for such work as an alternate or prehistoric era.

Ace

Adventurer
Thanks SHARK. I mentioned these critters yesterday and what happens, you come up with a stat block and flavor text.
Cool

BTW even if you decide not to enter the WOTC contest you really should seek some freelance work. You have the nack IMO

Thats of course if the USMC gives you the time.

mmadsen

First Post
mmadsen, remember one of the threads, I don't remember if it was the "Little Changes..." or "D&D for children" but This sounds like a perfect creature for such work as an alternate or prehistoric era.

That would be the "D&D for a Younger Audience" thread -- spawned off of the "Little Changes with Big Flavor" thread. Chronosome was the first to answer "Dinosaurs :)". Now we know the correct answer is "Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Mammals :)".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Joshua Dyal said:

Thanks for taking this step! In at least three separate threads I've asked for stats for prehistoric animals, and this is the first I've seen. I thought someone would have done it already, but ...

Actually Joshua theres a whole thread full of Prehistoric Beasties over on the Monster Conversion board everything from Andrewsarchus and indricotheres to Smilodon and Terror-Bird.

I had a Andrewsarchus type monster in one of my games and based that on a Huge Boar with crushing jaws and a bad attitude...

Now anyone got stats for Hyaenodon

PS Nice Work SHARK

Remove ads