• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preorder, cancel, preorder, cancel etc

Harshax

First Post
Today I canceled my pre-order. That's the third time in the last couple of months. That's right, I've pre-ordered 4E three times and then canceled. Never in response to some teaser or hyperbole that makes me think 4E will be broken. I'm either totally cool or indifferent to just about everything I've read about the next edition (mostly totally cool).

It's not that I'm a fan of any particular edition of D&D. I wouldn't turn down a game using any system.

I just have this nagging feeling that what I *really, really, really want is the D&D milieu. I want Vecna (especially the Hand and Eye), githyanki, Demogorgon, Orcus, Tharizdun and Lolth. A campaign against Giants, Kuo-Toa, and Drow. I want Gruumsh, Beholders, Ilithid, and Displacer Beasts.

That's what Dungeons & Dragons is. I want to play Dungeons & Dragons. I own Dungeons & Dragons.

I think that after 5.5 editions of D&D, I can't deal with another bout of love / hate/ houserule with a new triad of rulebooks.

Have fun storming the castle!

LFK

First Post
I canceled my pre-order today too. Amazon wasn't going to get them to me in time.

From the sounds of your post I'm betting you have at least the PHB by the 12th. Thus is the fickle nature of indecision, love/hate, and impulse buying!

DandD

First Post
I never pre-ordered. So, I never cancelled. I'm going to simply wait for the review of most people, which I expect to be mostly positive, wait till it's around my area, and then buy it. Simple as that.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Honestly, prices like that PISS ME OFF. I'm a RETAILER (you know, with a STORE) and I'm going to be paying around $60 for all three books. How the heck am I supposed to compete with these on-line price-gougers who get some rediculous bulk discount off of WotC and then make about $3 a sale but sell hundreds of thousands of them, while I'm stuck with the stupid "suggested retail" of *** $104.95 *** or discount heavily and go out of business?

Congrats on your cheap find.

Fitz

Korgoth

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Honestly, prices like that PISS ME OFF. I'm a RETAILER (you know, with a STORE) and I'm going to be paying around $60 for all three books. How the heck am I supposed to compete with these on-line price-gougers who get some rediculous bulk discount off of WotC and then make about $3 a sale but sell hundreds of thousands of them, while I'm stuck with the stupid "suggested retail" of *** $104.95 *** or discount heavily and go out of business?

OT but interesting... perhaps we should make it another thread.

In terms of gaming purchases, I buy a fair amount of stuff at an online discount that I would simply forego buying if it was full price (because it would be out of my budget or simply not worth it to me).

For my WWII historical minis (Flames of War), I buy at a local shop that gives a 10% discount to repeat customers and maintains a nice gaming space (2 rooms, plus tables, terrain, tourney hosting, etc.) and is staffed and run by nice people. Even at a 10% discount I'm paying more than I would if I went with an online outfit (though probably only 10% more, plus shipping), but I consider the difference money that I'm paying to help keep the retailer around.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
FitzTheRuke said:

Congrats on your cheap find.

Fitz

Online discounters have been the death knell of brick-and-mortar game stores for going on 10 years now, at least.

Seriously, if you haven't figured out by now that you're in the business of providing a service to hobby gamers, and not product, your store is doomed.

Why not send a PM to Thalmin and ask him how he goes about making Games Plus Mt. Prospect the best game store in the U.S.?

Remove ads