Prepainted minis

Heselbine

Explorer
Legendary Evils is pretty good, which is very welcome after the somewhat dodgy paint jobs on some of the recent sets. I bought a case, which I've never done before, and was very pleased to get only one double (apart from the commons of course).

I know you get fewer figures now, but I still think £10 is reasonable value for five painted figures (or a bit more for the huge set). The huge visibles in Legenday Evils are spectacular - probably among the best DDM figures ever done. The balor especially is just wonderful. I think I'll throw it into my current 1st level campaign. So, they get wiped out - but by an awesome model!

kitsune9

Adventurer
Reaper also recently announced that they're going to have an entire division: Asylum Miniatures, that will be devoted to producing the prepainted minis. Apparently it was just too much for what they had already so they're going to spin it off a bit to help with the logistics involved.

Supposedly they'll be producing a decent number of figures far more frequently.

That will be cool. I really thought their minis were awesome, but just couldn't paint them (don't have the eyesight or skill). Their prepaints are good too.

I would have thought that since the collapse of DDM, a mini company could have really stepped in and say "Hey! We'll put out tons of prepainted minis!".

I would have thought that since the collapse of DDM, a mini company could have really stepped in and say "Hey! We'll put out tons of prepainted minis!".
Well, DDM didn't really "collapse"; they're still producing just about as many minis as before, except that now there's no skirmish rules included with them.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Reaper also recently announced that they're going to have an entire division: Asylum Miniatures, that will be devoted to producing the prepainted minis. Apparently it was just too much for what they had already so they're going to spin it off a bit to help with the logistics involved.

Supposedly they'll be producing a decent number of figures far more frequently.

That's great news! While I wasn't too excited about their initial offering (I had more than enough Orcs, Skeletons and large humanoids to last me a lifetime!) Some of their previews looked great- the Mind Flayeresque critter especially. Hope they get them rolling very soon - always good for a market to have competition!

Having well over 1,000 D&D pre-painted minis, I thought my days of buying cases were over. However the Legendary Evils set just looks too awesome to pass up. The Huges look fantastic. About the only thing that would have made the set better was if they included a Huge Blue Dragon and a Huge Black Dragon (minus rider this time). They're the only 2 Chromatic Dragons left to complete the set.

I'm not so sold on the next set, which I've already seen the minis for, but the Legendary Evils set is gold!

Olaf the Stout

Sammael

Adventurer
I just received my first singles purchase from LE (all huges except Balor - which I intend to purchase - and the Frost Titan - which really doesn't work for me), plus Doomdreamer, Coin Swarm, Scarecrow, Slaad Spawn, and Duergar Guard), and I am very impressed with the bunch. The only one that could have been better is the Slaad Spawn (with a very poor paint job), but even that is acceptable. Elder Green Dragon is awesome!

I bought several Reaper PPMs and I was impressed with their quality (particularly the Bathallian); here's to hoping they will eventually get back to doing PPMs.

Rackham's minis are far superior to any other PPM, but also quite a bit more expensive. If you can get them heavily discounted, go for it.

I also occassionally purchase SWM, Dreamblade, MageKnight, HeroClix and HorrorClix minis to use in D&D. For instance, I just got SWM Imperial Dignitary and Czerka Scientist (to be used as civilians/merchants), SWM Massif (to be used as a medium lizard creature); Horroclix Vlad the Impaler (ultra cheap), Satanist, Goat-Headed Satanist, Constrictor, Gypsy Seer, Phantom Maneater, Brine Witch, and Skeletal Maiden; and Heroclix Mighty Thor. Another shipment that's on the way should contain 4 Maul Rats (to be used as Osquips) and World Eater (to be used as an Eidolon or something).

Remove ads