• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

preparing for an ancient black dragon

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the dragon has a weak WIS save, Dissonant Whispers can make him go away for a round - such as when you need to stand up your DPR King PC.
Somebody should have Magic Missile available, just to get his attention with guaranteed damage.
Get the dragon into a confined space if possible. He is BIG but you are not - you can run down 5' hallways which he cannot even squeeze into.
You do not want him hiding in a lake, or making strafing runs as you cross a featureless plain under a clear blue sky. Find some terrain that neutralizes his mobility.
Call Lightning and Summon Storm can mess him up if he does decide to fly (and the Druid can stay hidden long enough).

spartanah

Explorer
thanks for the great Ideas, the thing is that we are preparing for killing the dragon fo a session or 2, and he is suppose to be a severla hundreds year old so I guess he'll be ancient. But the preparing is the same, whether hes is ancient or adult.
But I don't think that adult will require that much preparation.
hero's feast is an awesome Idea. synaptic static? since INT is his weak spot.

sunrisekid

Explorer
Can we get more threads like this? I find this way more interesting and complex than the "which X is best?" sort of discussion. I have been DM'ing for many years but I'm honestly not that familiar with advanced use of spells in higher-level challenges, but I've learned a lot by reading this discussion and would love to read more like this!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads