• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preparing for Kickstarter... need feedback.

Megaton Games

Explorer
I'm about to release an exciting (and challanging) Kickstarter project about dungeon and battle maps. The maps will look like the attached maps. Skip Williams will write a nice scenario for at least one map.

Feedback welcome!

Attachments

• DungeonOfTheDay_01.jpg
    DungeonOfTheDay_01.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Daily_dungeon_01_battlemap.jpg
    Daily_dungeon_01_battlemap.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 100

Koloth

First Post
Some random thoughts.
You didn't mention if these are print or pdf.

If pdf, consider offering a hex grid background to broaden the appeal and usefulness. My group often uses hexes for outdoor stuff even in D&D type games because it simplifies movement and combat. Squares are still easier in constructed dungeon environments even in game systems that specify hex grids like Gurps.

Check with a local Kinkos type place and find out what size(s) they can print and approximate cost. Offer pdf maps in those sizes. Even if you offer the maps in 8x11 sizes as well. Printing several 8x11 pieces and piecing them together can be a PITA. Plus it might wind up being cheaper for the end purchaser to pay Kinkos to print them out on large paper then buying the needed toner refills to print them at home.

Offer toner friendly versions as well. In your examples, make the brown areas very lightly shaded vs the current full coverage.

If you have access to a dungeon tile set like Dwarven Forge or equivalent, consider making some smaller maps that can be replicated with tile sets. Maybe build the physical dungeon first then draw your map to match.

Megaton Games

Explorer
Some random thoughts.
You didn't mention if these are print or pdf.

If pdf, consider offering a hex grid background to broaden the appeal and usefulness. My group often uses hexes for outdoor stuff even in D&D type games because it simplifies movement and combat. Squares are still easier in constructed dungeon environments even in game systems that specify hex grids like Gurps.

Check with a local Kinkos type place and find out what size(s) they can print and approximate cost. Offer pdf maps in those sizes. Even if you offer the maps in 8x11 sizes as well. Printing several 8x11 pieces and piecing them together can be a PITA. Plus it might wind up being cheaper for the end purchaser to pay Kinkos to print them out on large paper then buying the needed toner refills to print them at home.

Offer toner friendly versions as well. In your examples, make the brown areas very lightly shaded vs the current full coverage.

If you have access to a dungeon tile set like Dwarven Forge or equivalent, consider making some smaller maps that can be replicated with tile sets. Maybe build the physical dungeon first then draw your map to match.

Thanks for your comments!

PDFs are the basic in the Kickstarter with printed versions in higher tier rewards.

I will mostly do dungeon and indoor stuff... do you think hex will be useful anyway=

My plan is to have the same background for dungeon maps and battle maps. I've had many comments before from people that wanted darker color. Tricky...

Not sure I understans your last comment. Should I make tile sets that can be put toghether inte larger maps? I will do some maps that will fit together and can form larger maps, yes.

Anthony Terry

First Post
So will it be tough or easy?

Knowing the a task on average is tough, does not mean it is not easy for one mastered in said task. I would suggest all of us can accept it is quite hard to run under 100m in 10 seconds, i would even say its incredibly tough, yet not including the hard work he put into achieve the required body, usain bolt could probably class it as an easily achievable feat and yet call it tough in the same breath for sure. Another example could be how football managers talk about winning the premier league etc.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
It will not be easy, neither will it be tough, nor will it tarry to the west, although it is not in a hurry. On a 1-3 the maps will be surprised, and on 3-6 the Kickstarter will be surprised.

Koloth

First Post
To attempt to clarify my last random thought: Create a dungeon from a set of 3D tile pieces from a Dwarven Forge type set, then replicate in your pdf maps. That way, someone that has a lot of money in 3D tile sets can use them to replicate some of your maps. Sometimes the physical limitation of the tile sets prevent replicating a paper map layout.

On the hexes vs squares: if you are primarily doing constructed dungeon/buildings then squares are the way to go. If you do free form caverns or outdoor areas, add a hex grid option for those maps.

On the background shading: dark background is fine, just offer a less dense background that uses less toner. A brown shading vs a solid brown color. On a large map, can make a significant difference in toner usage. The last time I checked, a full set of replacement toners for my color laser was over $500. They last several thousand pages but minimizing toner consumption is still worthwhile. I bought the printer as a referb off the Dell site for $300 and it came with a full set of real toners. Would have been cheaper to buy a second printer, keep the toners and toss the 2nd printer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads