• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preserving Mementos

RichCsigs

First Post
I recently came across some mementos that my grandmother had kept from her first husband. They're very old (from the 1900s - 1920s) and include things like newspapers, pictures, letters and other various objects. I would like to not only preserve these but have them available in a viewable format. I was originally going to put most of the things into a scrapbook, but that's not a totally viable solution. The newspapers wouldn't fit, certain things wouldn't work (like the book immigration gave my grandfather when he arrived in America). The main thing is that I would like the letters my great-grandmother wrote my grandmother during the time my grandfather was sick to be readable but I don't want anyone to handle them; they're double sided and very fragile.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Each kind of memento has its own method of preservation, though some are similar.

Art, magazines (and other paper products) and fabrics are usually stored in something airtight and acid-free...and sometimes behind UV resistent glass.

Coins have a variety of individual packets and cannisters in which they are stored- the idea is to minimize oxidation.

Some things, like books, might need climate & humidity controls.

What you need to do is consult hobbyists & collectors in the relevant fields. Some you can find through schools, clubs, art stores, others through museums, and these days, probably many on dedicated websites.

You may also be able to find some info by looking up PBS' Antiques Road Show online.

In the mean time, find some nice white gloves with which to handle your documents- you don't want oils or detergents from your hands to get on them.

Aurora

First Post
DannyA gave some great advice. Some things you may want to have shadow-boxed and sealed. Just remember in everything you do that someday these things will be passed on to people in your family that don't who your grandmother is. So make sure that (if possible) full names are somehow associated with different pieces and if you know the story behind a piece to somehow include it for future generations. I know I have boxes and boxes of photos and mementos many over a hundred years old from past family members and it saddens me that I have no idea who many of the people are or anything about them. Guess that's one of the reasons I started scrapbooking myself.

For some of the more delicate items you have, you might consider scanning them and/ or photographing them that way should the items ever become damaged, they are not completely lost. This would be nice as well if you have several family members who might like copies of such memorabilia. Even the children in your family will someday grow up to be adults that might like a piece of family history. If that's the case, photograph and scan everything you can before sealing it up. If you have the time and interest, you could even scrapbook the files digitally and have them printed by someplace like shutterfly for family members and you will have instant birthday or Christmas gifts. :)

If you do decide to physically scrapbook any items. Make sure everything is acid free (pens, background papers, etc) and I would suggest using side loading page protectors such as these rather than the top loading ones as top loading ones can let in dust more ealily. Good luck!

Kahuna Burger

First Post
now that there have been a couple of helpful answers, I'd just like to say that every time I see the thread title, my brain skips one "me" and I wonder for a split second where you are going that you need preserved Mentos. :eek:

I would consider digital copies of some of the materials as well. While the sentimental value may be in the physical objects, there is historic value in the information contained in them as well.

Remove ads