• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige class: Chameleon

Scratched_back

First Post
Morning all!

I was trying to remember last night about a prestige class I'd read... somewhere. I'm fairly sure it was called Chameleon. Before I checked, I would've sworn blind it was in the Complete Adventurer, but it isn't.

It's essentially a class based around lying and deception, you gain abilities depending on which persona you're pretending to be for that day.

Anyone know where it's printed?

Scratched_back

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Lucky for you, the entire class is available on the Wizards web site!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b

Cheers!

Ahh excellent, even better! I can satisfy my rampany mind-wanderings even at work then!

I haven't really really thought too much about this class, but it looks fun. Not particularly powerful at first glance, but I was always of the opinion that options are power.

How many times has your party had its back to the wall and there's been a rallying cry of "Check your sheets everyone... we must have something!"

Has anyone had any experience playing this PrC?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I planned one out for a game that died young, so I never got to play it, but it looked great on paper.

Some awesome things:

- Access to any Divine spells (not just the ones on the Cleric list) -- look at the Adept list, but also the Paladin and Ranger lists

- Access to any item creation feat during down-time (just make sure your pre-Chameleon levels qualify you) -- I found that Cleric 1 + Practiced Spellcaster gets you access to Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armor.

- Caster level can exceed character level! If your game ends at 16th level, you will have CL 20 -- and Chameleon is the only way to get this high a caster level. UMD + Staff = doooooom!

Cheers, -- N

Scratched_back

First Post
Nifft said:
- Access to any item creation feat during down-time (just make sure your pre-Chameleon levels qualify you) -- I found that Cleric 1 + Practiced Spellcaster gets you access to Scribe Scroll, Craft Wand, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Magic Arms & Armor.

- Caster level can exceed character level! If your game ends at 16th level, you will have CL 20 -- and Chameleon is the only way to get this high a caster level. UMD + Staff = doooooom!

Cheers, -- N

I hadn't even thought about the item creation aspect, in fact I only realised that it was a shiftable bonus feat when I re-read it half an hour ago. I guess I just dismissed it as a standard feat... you'd still need the skill point I guess to make it really worthwhile.

I must admit, you've lost me on the second bit there... how does that work then? :uhoh:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Scratched_back said:
I hadn't even thought about the item creation aspect, in fact I only realised that it was a shiftable bonus feat when I re-read it half an hour ago. I guess I just dismissed it as a standard feat... you'd still need the skill point I guess to make it really worthwhile.
Skill points?! To qualify for an Item Creation feat you need a caster level, not skill points. Chameleon caster level won't qualify you for any feat or PrC, so you need a "real" caster level. One level of Cleric + the feat Practiced Spellcaster will get you "real" caster level 5, which qualifies you for a lot of item creation feats.

Scratched_back said:
I must admit, you've lost me on the second bit there... how does that work then? :uhoh:
Second bit = high caster level? Sure, your Chameleon spells are cast at twice your Chameleon level. So at character level 16, your Chameleon spells have caster level 20 (assuming your build was XXX 5 / Chameleon 10).

This means you can cast greater dispel magic and have a very good chance to rip away opponent's effects. It also means that, relative to other casters your level, you have a free +4 to penetrate SR, and a +4 to resist having your effects dispelled. So you're a better self-buffer than most.

Cheers, -- N

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Adding to Nifft's suggestions, I had potential character planned out that took Ardent Dilettante (Planar Handbook) levels to further increase the character's flexibility. Even if you take only one level, every skill becomes a class skill for your character, making Able Learner even more valuable for such a PC.

I used Bardic Sage and Cloistered Cleric (of Fharlanghn) levels. I figured a travel deity would approve of such a multiskilled and adaptable clergyman.

Remove ads