• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige class levels

photon1966

First Post
I have a player who is an elven Psiwarrior/Psion, 2/1 right now. Eventually he wants to become a Soul Blade but the question we have is how does the Presitge class levels work as far as experience points and the 20% lost rule if the levels aren't close. He sees himself going 3/3 and then at 7th become Soul Blade 1. When he goes up another few levels how does the experience work then as far the 20% rule.

When a fighter takes a Prestige feat, like Gladiator I just assumed it was part of the Fighter and I wasn't treating them as separate. So a 5 Fighter/1 Gladiator wouldn't lose any experience by the 20% rule, as it was still essentially a fighter. But with my players Elven Psion/Psiwarrior is the Soul Blade simple an extension of both, one, neither. I haven't found any clear rules on this and if you all could point me in a direction, page numbers, books, errats, faq, etc. I would and so would my player be very greatfull.

Thanks

AvarielAvenger

First Post
I don't have my books with me right now, and I don't feel like looking through the FAQ, so this may not give you the solidarity of a reference, but Prestige Classes do not count towards calcuating experience penalties.

Crothian

First Post
Re: They don't?

photon1966 said:
They don't? Wow I did not know that. Thanks. That makes things much easier to handle then.

That is correct. It also encourages people to take them. People opinion on that varies. :cool:

dcollins

Explorer
Re: They don't?

photon1966 said:
They don't? Wow I did not know that. Thanks. That makes things much easier to handle then.

You can find this on DMG p. 27, under "Prestige Classes", paragraph 2, sentence 3.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
photon1966 said:
I haven't found any clear rules on this and if you all could point me in a direction, page numbers, books, errats, faq, etc. I would and so would my player be very greatfull.

DMG page 27, under 'Prestige Classes':

"Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing."

And from the DnD FAQ, page 10:

"If you become a multiclassed character by adding a prestige class, do you have to keep the two classes at roughly even levels to prevent an experience penalty?
Taking a prestige class doesn't cause an experience penalty; see page 27 in the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide.

Can you take levels in more than one prestige class? How do all these levels affect your experience?
You can take any number of prestige classes, provided that you qualify for them. Prestige classes do not impose multiclass experience penalties (see previous question), no matter how many prestige classes you have."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads