• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige Class Questions

Melkor

Explorer
Hi all,

I was looking at the Prestige Class info in the DMG, and it doesn't seem to indicate whether or not you are allowed to do a couple of things - so I thought I would ask here:

Can a character take multiple prestige classes ?

Can a character take prestige classes and then multiclass into a standard class after advancing in the prestige class ?

Does a character pay an XP penalty if all of his classes (including prestige classes) aren't 'favored' or kept within a single level of one another ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
You can take multiple prestige classes.

You can multiclass whenever you want, be it in the middle of a prestige class or at the end of it. Normal multiclass rules apply.

Prestige Classes don't have to be favored. XP penalties do not apply to them. XP penalties apply only to multiclassed characters.

MerakSpielman

First Post
By the book, you can take a level of any class for which you qualify when you level up. This can make some pretty wacky combos, mixing different PrCs.

Realistically, many DMs limit PCs to a single PrC, or require the character to join some sort of obscure in-game organization in order to take levels in it.

Bad Paper

First Post
Melkor said:

Can a character ake prestige classes and then multiclass into a standard class after advancing in the prestige class ?

Does a character pay an XP penalty if all of his classes (including prestige classes) aren't 'favored' or kept within a single level of one another ?

Yes, yes, no. PrC are invisible to the favored-class XP dealio.

irdeggman

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
By the book, you can take a level of any class for which you qualify when you level up. This can make some pretty wacky combos, mixing different PrCs.

Actually specificallly for prestige classes you must meet the prerequisites before taking the class. So say a prestige class has a prereq of leadership feat. The prereq for leadership feat is 6th level character, so a character takes his 6th level character level feat for leadership, well he can't take the prestige class until 7th level since he must meet the prerequisites prior to taking a level of prestige class. Kind of harsh but it is pretty specific concerning prestige classes in the DMG. the character must meet allprerequisites before taking a level of prestige class. "The rules for advancement are the first thing a chracter does is to advance in a class."

Ranger REG

Explorer
Melkor said:
Hi all,

I was looking at the Prestige Class info in the DMG, and it doesn't seem to indicate whether or not you are allowed to do a couple of things - so I thought I would ask here:

Can a character take prestige classes and then multiclass into a standard class after advancing in the prestige class ?

One answer: Consult with your DM.

If you're a DM asking for recommendation, you may find me to be liberal. I allow them to take many PrCs as long they continue to maintain the requirements and do not conflict with one another. I only enforce XP penalty among base classes; PrCs are waived.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, then again, he's asking in the Rules forum. Of course, lots of GMs have various house rules to curb the use of PrCs.

I had a GM that only allowed 1 PrC ever because of the nature of specializing. Of course, I had to come up in an IC reason to get 2. :D

MerakSpielman

First Post
My house rule (just for reference) is that, when you originally roll up your character, you have to come up with a history and character concept. This need not be longer than a few sentences (for the creatively disinclined). Class and PrC levels are simply packages containing certain skills and abilities. I allow players to take level in any class/PrC (for which they qualify) whose abilities are in line with their original character concept.

As we purchase new suppliments for the Group Library, people find new PrCs that fit their concept, and may take levels in them even though they weren't around when they first visualized their character.

Last edited:

SJ

Explorer
irdeggman said:
... "The rules for advancement are the first thing a chracter does is to advance in a class."

Where in the DMG is that?

I agree that's the rule, I just wanted the reference for future...reference.

Remove ads