• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Preview: The Sorcerer

Cadfan

First Post
1. I think this class could make a pretty good close range spellcaster. There are a lot of close bursts and blasts.

2. Some of these close blasts do some pretty serious damage... you're going to get to add your strength or dexterity multiple times. At level one, we're talking close blast 3s for 1d8+6 with a relatively vanilla build.

3. Chaos Bolt is wacky. I can see people having a lot of fun with that. I don't much like the chaos build, but I do like this spell.

4. Dazzling Ray does a lot of damage.

5. Explosive Pyre could do a lot of damage, IF you pay attention to the initiative order. You need to catch the target right after it acts, but right before its allies act. Because its allies can't move away to avoid damage, but it can move away to avoid damaging its allies.

6: Dragonfang Bolt: Seriously? Full damage on a miss? I know it loses the ongoing, but man. I hope THAT's a recurring theme in the class. Perfect for multiclassers who can't swing the same attack bonus as a full time sorcerer.

7: Ice Dragon's Teeth: Hah, its Chains of Carceri reprinted. Its EXACTLY Chains of Carceri, if you pick the right Invoker build (ok, damage type varies).

8. Spectral Claw is potentially very good.

9. I wonder if people will devalue the wild magic effects since they don't always happen. Its a 50/50 chance, that's really not bad, and some of the effects are extremely good.

Dire Bare

Legend
Argghhhh!! My D&DI subscription is screwed up and I can't view the preview!!

I'm sooooo frustrated with the D&DI subscription process right now!

Hey...chaos power and dragon power do not have the 1/perround limit like Quarry, Sneak attack and curse...

so lets see them add to every target in an AoE...wow

Dragonblade

Adventurer
So the final released group (PHB1,2,FR) will look like:

Leaders (4)
Clerics, Warlords, Bards, Shaman

Defenders (4)
Fighters, Paladins, Swordmages, Wardens

Strikers (6)
Rangers, Rogues, Warlocks, Barbarians, Sorcerers, Avengers

Controllers (3)
Wizards, Invokers, Druids

Sure looks like Strikers are getting a lot of love... with controllers getting relegated to the back. I'm thinking the Wizard will get an incredible overhaul with Arcane Power to really make it the ultimate controller. I'd rather've had them do a better job classing out wizard subgroupings, but it definitely looks like they didn't think through the controller role that much during the design phase. I think they designed the other 3 as actual roles and how they might fit several classes, but then just looked at "wizard" instead of "controller."

Don't forget the Artificer (Arcane Leader) coming this summer in the Eberron Player's Guide. That bumps the number of Leader classes to 5.

Can't wait to find out about the next run of classes in the PHB3, or the Player's Guide for whatever the next setting is. I think we are in desperate need of psionics considering they are a big part of Eberron. And hopefully introducing psionics in PHB3 in March of 2010 (my guess) means we might get Dark Sun as the 2010 setting.

Though one of my friends who works in the industry has heard rumors of Dragonlance being the next setting. I sincerely hope not. Dragonlance is ok and all, but we already have FR. I want to see Dark Sun or a similarly exotic setting before going back to more vanilla fantasy.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
So the final released group (PHB1,2,FR) will look like:

Leaders (4)
Clerics, Warlords, Bards, Shaman

Defenders (4)
Fighters, Paladins, Swordmages, Wardens

Strikers (6)
Rangers, Rogues, Warlocks, Barbarians, Sorcerers, Avengers

Controllers (3)
Wizards, Invokers, Druids

Sure looks like Strikers are getting a lot of love... with controllers getting relegated to the back. I'm thinking the Wizard will get an incredible overhaul with Arcane Power to really make it the ultimate controller. I'd rather've had them do a better job classing out wizard subgroupings, but it definitely looks like they didn't think through the controller role that much during the design phase. I think they designed the other 3 as actual roles and how they might fit several classes, but then just looked at "wizard" instead of "controller."
I just have one question ... what the heck is the Avenger? I passed it off at first as the Primal striker on a whim, but that's the Barbarian. So ... what the heck? Unless they're releasing more classes in PHB2 than in PHB1 (which I didn't think they were going to do) or there's another class in some source I haven't heard of, I don't see where the Avenger is from ... :uhoh:

Also, has the Shaman been confirmed? (Ok, fine, I had two questions.) I'm pretty sure it'll be in there, or at least something similar, just wondering if it's officially been confirmed by any means.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Avenger will be in PHB2, it is Divine and our best bet is Striker (I don't think it has been actually confirmed yet). The Shaman will also be in PHB2, it is a Primal Leader and has a Spirit Companion (the one example we know of so far is a Spirit Bear).

Back to the Sorcerer I think this is the first class where I think I will do actual recrunching, besides just the normal refluffling (which doesn't really count since I refluff EVERYTHING).

I am gonna see how much work I would have to do to alter the Sorcerer around into the more melee-oriented style was hoping for. I won't need to change the Bursts and Blasts. So I am thinking of making the Ranged ones Melee Touch (probably make it easier to hit with then). Probably give the Sorcerer leather armour and higher HP. Hmm... I dunno what else, shall have to see.

As well as doing my usual thing when it comes to Arcane classes and most classes in general. Getting rid of lots of the elemental spells and making it non-elemental (long lasting pet peeve of mine is the amount of elemental stuff there is).

Fluff wise, *shrugs shoulders* since it is natural imbued magical talent it is gonna be whatever the player wants. No matter which they take Dragon or Chaos, so they can be Dragon and have nothing to do with Dragons for instance. For myself... Probably will go the path of climatic event unlocking what is essentially a internal path to all that eldritch energy.

fba827

Adventurer
I just have one question ... what the heck is the Avenger?

It is a divine class -- that much is certain. It is suggested that it will be a striker (we were told in phb2's early development that one of the classes was slated to be a divine striker, running around blasting targets with radiant flame strikers -- however, that may be what the Invoker turned in to). In any case, divine class, most likely striker.

Also, has the Shaman been confirmed?

You just exceeded your one question limit for the hour, sorry!

okay okay. To answer your question, yes, shaman has been 100% confirmed. In fact, they are previewing it next week (if you look at Feb's DDI release schedule). It'll be a Primal Leader with spirit companions.

Edit: ninjaed!

Remove ads