Preview WFRP4's Career List! Plus The Apothecary!

Cubicle 7 has posted a preview of the careers available in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition! There are 8 classes of careers, each with 8 careers, each of which has 4 levels.

Cubicle 7 has posted a preview of the careers available in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 4th Edition! There are 8 classes of careers, each with 8 careers, each of which has 4 levels.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 20.52.34.png

So here are the careers, listed in their 8 classes:

• Academics: Apothecary, Engineer, Lawyer, Nun, Physician, Priest, Scholar, Wizard
  • Burghers: Agitator, Artisan, Beggar, Investigator, Merchant, Rat Catcher, Townsman, Watchman
  • Courtiers: Advisor, Artist, Duellist, Envoy, Noble, Servant, Spy, Warden
  • Peasants: Bailiff, Hedge Witch, Herbalist, Hunter, Miner, Mystic, Scout, Villager
  • Rangers: Bounty Hunter, Coachman, Entertainer, Flagellant, Messenger, Pedlar, Roadwarden, Witch Hunter
  • Riverfolk: Boatman, Huffer, Riverwoman, Riverwarden, Seaman, Smuggler, Stevedore, Wrecker
  • Rogues: Bawd, Charlatan, Fence, Grave Robber, Outlaw, Thief, Racketeer, Witch
  • Warriors: Cavalryman, Guard, Knight, Pit Fighter, Protagonist, Soldier, Troll Slayer, Warrior Priest

They also broke down the Peasant class's 8 careers to show the four career levels in each:

• Bailiff: Tax Collector, Bailiff, Reeve, Magistrate
  • Hedge Witch: Hedge Apprentice, Hedge Witch, Hedge Master, Hedgewise
  • Herbalist: Herb Gatherer, Herbalist, Herb Master, Herbwise
  • Hunter: Trapper, Hunter, Tracker, Huntsmaster
  • Miner: Prospector, Miner, Master Miner, Mine Foreman
  • Mystic: Fortune Teller, Mystic, Sage, Seer
  • Scout: Guide, Scout, Pathfinder, Explorer
  • Villager: Peasant, Villager, Councillor, Elder

Finally, they displayed the Apothecary career in more detail!

Read more here.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Counterpoint: Ratcatchers are really just conveyance vehicles for the awesomeness that is the Small but Vicious Dog.

But really, Ratcatchers are awesome, too; all those gloriously scuzzy beginning classes are what makes Warhammer what it is. The people that just want to start off as Troll Slayers are missing it.

I remember a short-lived campaign where my dwarven ratcatcher was the party tracker (via the dog) *and* the party tank - once I got a shield and leather jack I was doing ok!

alex2020

Explorer
Darn, no Ratcatcher. I guess Ill just have to figure out to get the greatest weapon in the history of Warhammer via other means

Edit: I stand corrected. All hail the great hound of doom!

The Rat Catcher career path exists, under the Burghers group (look again)..

Derren

Hero
Counterpoint: Ratcatchers are really just conveyance vehicles for the awesomeness that is the Small but Vicious Dog.

But really, Ratcatchers are awesome, too; all those gloriously scuzzy beginning classes are what makes Warhammer what it is. The people that just want to start off as Troll Slayers are missing it.

I really don't see why they have listed the Troll Slayer there as that certainly isn't a starting class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troll Slayer was available to start with way back in 1e Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Never did quite fit in with the rest of the classes, but there you have it. It didn't help that most of the folks I remember playing Troll Slayers never really paid much more than lip service to the whole "suicidal, doom-haunted" part.

I really don't see why they have listed the Troll Slayer there as that certainly isn't a starting class.

Derren

Hero
Troll Slayer was available to start with way back in 1e Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Never did quite fit in with the rest of the classes, but there you have it. It didn't help that most of the folks I remember playing Troll Slayers never really paid much more than lip service to the whole "suicidal, doom-haunted" part.

Whats next? People starting as Swordmasters? Chosen?
I liked 2E more in this regard where you had to earn the good classes.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't know much about Warhammer, but is there evidence in the preview that those are starting careers? Isn't it quite possible that some of them have entrance requirements?

Derren

Hero
I don't know much about Warhammer, but is there evidence in the preview that those are starting careers? Isn't it quite possible that some of them have entrance requirements?

Thats how it worked in 2E, but in the preview there is no indication that some classes will be locked at the beginning. Instead they say that you get to choose from all the careers and removed any limits on how far you can advance in a single class making switching out optional.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Checked around on Facebook, C7 said to think of the career paths more like 64 base careers and 192 advanced careers, they're just grouped together by similarity. So it's quite possible that the base level Troll Slayer isn't all that.

Again, I really know very little about the Warhammer setting, so I don't know exactly what the concerns are, but that kind of organic growth is right in my current wheelhouse.

Derren

Hero
Again, I really know very little about the Warhammer setting, so I don't know exactly what the concerns are, but that kind of organic growth is right in my current wheelhouse.

In Warhammer "Troll Slayer" is the name of Slayer who have killed a troll and thus need to seek stronger foes, not some soldier trained to kill trolls.
So you see, they are hardly a starting class as killing a troll single handed is quite a feat few slayers manage (there are "higher" slayers like giant, dragon and finally demon slayer but they are very rare).

Managing to kill a troll is actually a bad thing for Slayers as their only goal in life is to die a good death in combat to wipe away his shame. The better the slayer is, the harder that goal becomes and the slayer that can defeat any foe is a very unlucky and miserable person (basically the character Gotrek in Warhammer lore).

Remove ads

Remove ads