Previews for September and Beyond

Treebore

First Post
Do you guys actually make your FINAL decision to buy based on previews? I don't. I just want to know enough to be interested in picking it up and looking it over at my LGS. If I don't buy it then I just follow review type threads here to make sure I don't want it. PH2 being the most recent example I can think of. Didn't buy it, and I won't be buying it.

Well, I'm thinking of buying it at my LGS 50% off anniversary sale on October 30th. If I don't buy it then I never will.

Gold Roger

First Post
Treebore said:
Do you guys actually make your FINAL decision to buy based on previews? I don't. I just want to know enough to be interested in picking it up and looking it over at my LGS. If I don't buy it then I just follow review type threads here to make sure I don't want it. PH2 being the most recent example I can think of. Didn't buy it, and I won't be buying it.

Well, I'm thinking of buying it at my LGS 50% off anniversary sale on October 30th. If I don't buy it then I never will.

Not my final decision, that is from web reviews. But those are subjective, so the bigest part in my final decision comes from sneak peeks and excerpts. I just don't have a FLGS, I get all my stuff online. Fortunately germany has a very good online gaming store, but I loose the opportunity to thumb through a book.

I mean, the main purpose of those previews is make people want to buy the books, but none of those this month outside of minis gives me any information about the products I didn't already now.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed and think it's a poor marketing performance on wotc's part.

MarkB

Legend
This month's previews were rather lightweight. I was particularly hoping to see new info on Complete Mage.

However, I enjoyed the Blood of Vol info from Faiths of Eberron. It does much to flesh out the events surrounding the end of House Vol, reveals the origins of the Emerald Claw organisation's name, and presents (for the first time, I think) the concept that the Aereni Elves and Argonessen dragons are opposed not only to the specific blending of elf and dragon carried out by House Vol, but to all half-dragons, something which has wider implications for the setting in general, especially for groups using characters with draconic traits.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Not impressed myself. I grow increasingly uncomfortable with the new trends WOTC seems to be taking lately.

Methinks the bean counters are starting to become more involved...

Sir Brennen

Legend
Gold Roger said:
I have to say I'm disappointed-apparently we only get excerpts and no real preview-previews from now on- Not good wotc, those where always one of the first week of a month highlights for me.
Drkfathr1 said:
Not impressed myself. I grow increasingly uncomfortable with the new trends WOTC seems to be taking lately.

Methinks the bean counters are starting to become more involved...
Ummm... did either of you read in intro paragraph to this month's preview? There's nothing in there to indicate that this is how previews will be "from now on" or that it's a "trend".

I read the opening paragraph as "I thought I had enough time to get reviews together this month, but apparently I didn't. I realize this month's column is a little light. Sorry about that."

The two products which got the most attention (Ebberron and minis) are the ones I'm least interested in, so I'm a little bit disappointed too, but it looks like the lack of content is an anomaly, not a new standard. These things happen.

Dragon Magic and Complete Mage will get the usual excerpt treatment in other articles during the month of their release, I'm sure.

MarkB said:
However, I enjoyed the Blood of Vol info from Faiths of Eberron. It does much to flesh out the events surrounding the end of House Vol, reveals the origins of the Emerald Claw organisation's name
I'll have to give the book a glance through on the strength of that little excerpt.

My original take on the Blood of Vol was they were a bunch of gullible fools who were being manipulated by an evil lich, but now I can see the attractions of its philosophy in a world where the more mainstream "gods" might not actually exist.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
They still don't seem to sure how many pages The Twilight Tomb module consists of, which is suprising given it goes on sale later this month so you'd kind of hope they might have printed a few copies of it by now...

Vanye

Explorer
crazy_cat said:
They still don't seem to sure how many pages The Twilight Tomb module consists of, which is suprising given it goes on sale later this month so you'd kind of hope they might have printed a few copies of it by now...

???

This is a 160-page adventure set in the Forgotten Realms

Seems to me that they know.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Sir Brennen said:
Ummm... did either of you read in intro paragraph to this month's preview? There's nothing in there to indicate that this is how previews will be "from now on" or that it's a "trend".
Except, I think they've been fairly consistently "light" for over a year now.

Kishin

First Post
MarkB said:
This month's previews were rather lightweight. I was particularly hoping to see new info on Complete Mage.

However, I enjoyed the Blood of Vol info from Faiths of Eberron. It does much to flesh out the events surrounding the end of House Vol, reveals the origins of the Emerald Claw organisation's name, and presents (for the first time, I think) the concept that the Aereni Elves and Argonessen dragons are opposed not only to the specific blending of elf and dragon carried out by House Vol, but to all half-dragons, something which has wider implications for the setting in general, especially for groups using characters with draconic traits.

I dunno. I found the whole Emerald Claw thing kinda cheesy, in all honesty, and I had always thought it was implied that the dragons of Argonessen were opposed to all half dragons.

Remove ads