• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Previews: MM3, Demonomicon, ToH

Rechan

Adventurer
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (June and Beyond)

So. Delicious. Those piscodemons are nasty. They look far more complicated than suggested - with 4 different standard action powers. I almost think they should be elites, although don't have enough minors. Although honestly I think these guys make better Aberrant creatures.

Those blood worms are DELICIOUSLY nasty. They almost make me think they make better bulettes than bulettes.

Although I wonder about the quasit being tiny, it has a 0 range attack. How does that work?

The ToH encounter is vicious.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Although I wonder about the quasit being tiny, it has a 0 range attack. How does that work?

I believe that the Quasit needs to enter the same space as the person it's attacking, which provokes OAs. But since it is Tiny it can enter spaces of Medium or larger enemies. (And it will try to be invisible when it does so, so that it won't provoke.)

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I believe that the Quasit needs to enter the same space as the person it's attacking, which provokes OAs. But since it is Tiny it can enter spaces of Medium or larger enemies. (And it will try to be invisible when it does so, so that it won't provoke.)

Group of Quasits Vs. Party of Halfling adventurers...

:p

That invisibility at-will almost makes me wonder if this wasn't originally designed as a lurker. If not for the main focus on debuffing, this li'l guy would be a lurker, period.

One of Mike Mearls first Design and Development columns, during late 3.5E, talked about how he dislikes the idea of abilities like at-will invisibility. It allows fights to grind to a halt as the party wait for the monster to step out of invisibility to attack. Anybody see this cropping up here too?

Rechan

Adventurer
One of Mike Mearls first Design and Development columns, during late 3.5E, talked about how he dislikes the idea of abilities like at-will invisibility. It allows fights to grind to a halt as the party wait for the monster to step out of invisibility to attack. Anybody see this cropping up here too?
There's actually quite a lot of monsters with AW invisibility.

Tarrl

First Post
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (June and Beyond)

So. Delicious. Those piscodemons are nasty. They look far more complicated than suggested - with 4 different standard action powers. I almost think they should be elites, although don't have enough minors. Although honestly I think these guys make better Aberrant creatures.

Those blood worms are DELICIOUSLY nasty. They almost make me think they make better bulettes than bulettes.

The ToH encounter is vicious.
Anyone else have any thoughts on the TOH's encounter?

That invisibility at-will almost makes me wonder if this wasn't originally designed as a lurker. If not for the main focus on debuffing, this li'l guy would be a lurker, period.

Yeah, there's lots of things that Mike Mearls doesn't like, lol. What could be more classic than the group of fearless adventurers clustered in a defensive circle staring out in all directions into the darkness watching for invisible death to leap out of the darkness and try to rip their throats out? Its narrative gold and very light on table time. I've really missed the REAL lurkers in 4e, the monsters that just might be lurking right next to you or underfoot or overhead and keep a little tension in the air at all times.

Anyway I think Quasits have at-will invisibility more for old times sake than anything else.

Remove ads