• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price Check Please: Glove of the Steady Hand

calypso15

Explorer
It's a single glove made of very light leather (suede?). Once worn, the wearer can see a faintly glowing sigil on the palm.

The wearer can use True Strike as a free action 1/day, and the glove acts as a Wand of True Strike.

I'm considering having it so that when all 50 charges are used up, the glove becomes nonmagical.

Thoughts? Price suggestions?

Calypso

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Start with True Strike Gauntlets, from Magic Item Compendium, Page 144:

Price: 3,500 gp (8th)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint (DC 16) divination
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: --

When you activate true strike gauntlets, you gain a +20 insign bonus on the next attack you make before the end of your next turn. This ability functions once per day.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, true strike.
Cost to create: 1,750 gp, 140 XP, 4 days

Now you want it as a free action, which is a big increase in power. And then you want it as a wand of true strike - though it is unclear to me if you mean it has 50 charges that anyone can use, or 50 charges that only someone with true strike on their spell list (or use magic device) can use much like any other wand. If you mean anyone can use - that is also much more powerful than the regular wand.

calypso15

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Start with True Strike Gauntlets, from Magic Item Compendium, Page 144:

Interesting. I figure it's a Quickened True Strike, which is a 5th level spell. So 5*9*2000/5 = 18000. A wand of True Strike is slotless and 750g, so adding it to the glove as is would just add directly I would think.

But now that you mention it, I guess I hadn't considered. The character in question has True Strike as a spell, so as a wand would be fine, but I'm not sure that would be in the spirit of the item.

So, let's say...

True Strike 1/day as a free action (essentially a quickened True Strike): 18000
50 charges of True Strike that anyone can use: 1000

Now let's say I wanted to add one final power: Rather than using the True Strike ability for the day, you can expend it to add a charge to the gloves. How would you price that?

Calypso

Darklone

Don't forget that Quickened True Strike as a swift action is lots less powerful than as a free action. I'd double the price.

hong

WotC's bitch
Yeah, 1/day as a swift action = 18000 sounds good.

The true strike gauntlets in MIC are too expensive IMO. For that price I'd make them usable 1/encounter instead of 1/day, or even at will.

Mistwell

hong said:
Yeah, 1/day as a swift action = 18000 sounds good.

The true strike gauntlets in MIC are too expensive IMO. For that price I'd make them usable 1/encounter instead of 1/day, or even at will.

Yeah but you consume large amounts of intoxicants before posting!

Seriously, I think the item in MIC is fairly priced. A lot of folks thought it was cheap actually.

Making it a swift action is quite powerful. It's similar to wraithstrike, and we've all seen the raging debates on how powerful wraithstrike is (I am not that bugged by it, but a whole lot of folks are).

hong

WotC's bitch
Mistwell said:
Yeah but you consume large amounts of intoxicants before posting!

Seriously, I think the item in MIC is fairly priced. A lot of folks thought it was cheap actually.

Making it a swift action is quite powerful. It's similar to wraithstrike, and we've all seen the raging debates on how powerful wraithstrike is (I am not that bugged by it, but a whole lot of folks are).
Uh...? I'm not saying the MIC true strike gauntlets are a swift action. In fact, it's BECAUSE they're a standard action to activate that I reckon they're too expensive.

Just as a point of reference, in our AOW campaign we changed the heartseeker amulet in MIC to activate on a std action, but for the same price. I used it exactly once, over the 2 sessions I had it before the campaign finished. Having to spend a round activating it is a huge drawback.

By contrast, I also put true strike 1/day as a swift action on my sword, for 30000 gp. That's effectively an unslotted enchantment, so 15000 for a slotted item, which is close enough to 18000 for government work. I used that one all the time.

Mistwell

hong said:
Uh...? I'm not saying the MIC true strike gauntlets are a swift action. In fact, it's BECAUSE they're a standard action to activate that I reckon they're too expensive.

Just as a point of reference, in our AOW campaign we changed the heartseeker amulet in MIC to activate on a std action, but for the same price. I used it exactly once, over the 2 sessions I had it before the campaign finished. Having to spend a round activating it is a huge drawback.

By contrast, I also put true strike 1/day as a swift action on my sword, for 30000 gp. That's effectively an unslotted enchantment, so 15000 for a slotted item, which is close enough to 18000 for government work. I used that one all the time.

Fair enough.

Slaved

First Post
I am sorry if this is out of place in this thread but the topic made me think of something.

What if the gloves that when activated as a swift action allowed you to use a special full-round action that gave you a single melee attack that had the true strike benefits?

It would use up your swift action, move action, and standard action but give you a pretty good single hit in melee.

That one attack would be virtually assured to hit, but after a certain point in the game your first hit is already assumed to hit anyway. It could be power attacked to the maximum allowed and likely still hit but you give up all of your iterative attacks to do it. It also would not combine well with the tome of nine swords abilities.

How much would this item cost? Perhaps calypso15 would like this item instead?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads