• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price Check: Ring of Enlarge Person 1/day

calypso15

Explorer
Without regard to the straight-up pricing guidelines, how much would you charge for a Ring of Enlarge Person 1/day (10 rounds), activatable as a standard action (as opposed to 1 round, which is how long Enlarge Person takes to cast)?

I already received an (absurd) answer from my DM, I'm just curious what you guys think.

Calypso

Nail

First Post
I'd use the straight-up pricing guidelines. They work very well for the item you suggest.

1 (1st lvl spl) * 2 (CL for 2 minutes) *1800gp (Std Action activation) * 1/5 (once per day) = 720 gp

Perfect.

This is the sort of item the pricing guidelines are supposed to work well on!

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Mistwell said:
Nail's calculation of 3600 gp also looks reasonable.
I screwed up, as I didn't look at the spell duration -- it's in minutes per level, not rounds per level. I editted my post to fix that.

calypso15

Explorer
Mistwell said:
My gut says 2000 gp. Nail's calculation of 3600 gp also looks reasonable.

That's about what I figured. The standard price seemed a bit cheap on this one for what you get, so I was expecting answer of 2000gp. I shouldn't be surprised though, as this particular DM loves to screw me over.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Nail said:
Compare to a Potion of Enlarge person:

CL 1, Std action to activate, single use: 50 gp

No. Check the SRD. Potions of Enlarge Person are 250 gp for caster level 1. They cost more because the casting time of Enlarge Person is 1 round.

And I highly doubt your DM is "screwing you over" as much as "trying to fairly price an item." They're called guidelines for a reason.

calypso15

Explorer
Hammerhead said:
And I highly doubt your DM is "screwing you over" as much as "trying to fairly price an item." They're called guidelines for a reason.

I won't go into the full details, but believe me when I say that if a number of other people in my group had asked for this, it would have been significantly cheaper.

Calypso

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads