• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price ?: Gauntlet of Mighty Fists

ARandomGod

First Post
OK, I've heard rumor that WoTC said something hinting that the Amulet of Mighty Fists is priced as an item that uses a body slot that doesn't meet the affinity.

Is there any truth to this rumor? Have they actually stated that somewhere official or semi-official, or is it just something someone said?

Tell me EnWorlders tell meeeeee :] (Said in Invader Zim's voice)
Seriously guys, what do you know? :uhoh:

:cool:

Last edited:

domino

First Post
I would think that gauntlets would meet the affinity. According to the SRD, at least, the affinity for gauntlets is destructive power. And an Amulet of Might Fists certainly seems like it fits the bill. So, I'd imagine gauntlets would do the same.

jRocket

First Post
Thats silly. Gauntles have the "destructive power" affinity. If gauntlets of strength fit into this catagory then Might Fists, which essentiall give the same bonus, should be too.

ARandomGod

First Post
jRocket said:
Thats silly. Gauntles have the "destructive power" affinity. If gauntlets of strength fit into this catagory then Might Fists, which essentiall give the same bonus, should be too.

Definitely. I was saying that, while the Amulet might not (the rumor I heard), bracers would be perfect for that.

ARandomGod

First Post
Yup. There it was. Rules of the game:Making magic items (Part Six)

They say right out that gauntlets or bracers could be enchanted with 'of Mighty Fists' for 2/3 or the price of the amulet.

Next question, which isn't said right out, so I suppose this would be just a "what's your opinion"...

Say you did enchant gauntlets with this. Could you also have, say, one of the gauntlets made of cold iron and one of adamantium? For DR purposes??

domino

First Post
You can enchant weapons made out of the special metals with enchantments, so I'd say so.

However, something like that is probably going to have the standard "both gauntlets must be worn...." caveat to work. And the DM may say that two gauntlets made of the same metal don't count as half of the same pair.

Now, there's an enchantment that allows someone to effectively change what a weapon is made out of, but it's not in the SRD, so I don't know if I can mention it on these boards or not.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The RotG article in question is here.

It says on the subject:
Sometimes, a player doesn't want an entirely new item, just something with a few alterations. For example, a player with a monk character would love to have an amulet of mighty fists, but she has grown to depend on the extra protection she gets from her amulet of natural armor. So, the inevitable question arises: Does an amulet of mighty fists have to be an amulet? The answer is of course not! However, that begs another question: If not an amulet, what kind of item should it be?

The Body Slot Affinities sidebar on page 288 in the Dungeon Master's Guide can help answer the second question. A look at the table there shows that bracers (combat), gauntlets (destructive power), or even a belt (physical improvement) are the most appropriate alternatives. Considering that our example monk wants to pound foes with her fists and that she probably already owns bracers of armor, gauntlets probably are the best bet. So, what should the gauntlets cost?

You can reasonably assume that a pair of gauntlets of mighty fists ought to have the same base cost and market price as the amulet (6,000 to 150,000 gp), depending on the enhancement bonus the item provides. The +1 version (6,000 gp) has a monetary cost to create of 3,000 gp (half the base price) and an experience cost of 240 XP (1/25th the base cost).

On the other hand, a +1 magic weapon (such as a +1 spiked gauntlet) costs only 2,000 gp (for the magical enhancement). Another quick look at the table on page 288 of the Dungeon Master's Guide shows that the amulet slot is best for items that involve protection and discernment, not attack, so it's a good bet that the amulet's price already had an adjustment for an uncustomary item slot. That makes sense, because almost any creature can wear an amulet or necklace and the amulet works on unarmed attacks and natural weaponry. The amulet of mighty fists probably also is intended for familiars and animal companions as well as monks.

That uncustomary item slot adjustment is x 1.5 (see Table 7-33), so the base cost and market price for the gauntlets would be 4,000 gp (6,000/1.5). The item should have the same caster level as a magic weapon with the same enhancement bonus (3 x the bonus), and it would require the Craft Wondrous item feat.

Okay, what happens if the character in question already has magic gauntlets, too, or just wants to keep that glove/gauntlet item slot available for some other useful item, such as gauntlets of ogre power or gloves of Dexterity? That's not a problem, either. There's no reason why someone could not create a robe of mighty fists, or a vest of mighty fists. Such items should have the same cost as the amulet (remember that we're assuming the amulet already has a cost increase of 50% for an uncustomary slot), so a +1 vest or robe of mighty fists would have a market price of 6,000 gp.

DMs who just aren't inclined to give the monk a break on such items might want to charge 6,000 gp for the amulet or gauntlets and 9,000 gp for the robe or the vest. I think that's excessive, and I suspect that most players would, too.
domino said:
there's an enchantment that allows someone to effectively change what a weapon is made out of, but it's not in the SRD, so I don't know if I can mention it on these boards or not.
Welcome to the boards! :)
At the very least, you can always mention its name and source. You were talking about Metalline (+2 weapon quality) in Underdark (and formerly CotSQ?), right?

Last edited:

domino

First Post
Darkness said:
Welcome to the boards! :)
At the very least, you can always mention its name and source. You were talking about Metalline (+2 weapon quality) in Underdark (and formerly CotSQ?), right?
Thank you.

And yes, that's the one I was talking about.

ARandomGod

First Post
domino said:
You can enchant weapons made out of the special metals with enchantments, so I'd say so.

However, something like that is probably going to have the standard "both gauntlets must be worn...." caveat to work. And the DM may say that two gauntlets made of the same metal don't count as half of the same pair.

Now, there's an enchantment that allows someone to effectively change what a weapon is made out of, but it's not in the SRD, so I don't know if I can mention it on these boards or not.

That would be a pretty poor (and semi incomprehensible) ruling, IMO.
Or did you mean to say someone might rule that two gauntlets made of different metals don't count as the same pair?

Now. Assuming such an enchantment would be allowed while keeping it functioning as a monk weapon... how would you price that +2? As the price of the 'of Mighty Fists' enchantment doesn't count as a + weapon cost...

Remove ads