• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price Please: Cloak of Cold Elemental Wildshape

foxwick

First Post
Cloak of Cold Elemental Wildshape

This cloak grants a wearer with the Wildshape ability to Wildshape into Ice or Air Elementals once per day. This ability is the same as that granted to level 16 Druids, but is limited to Air elementals and Ice [para]elementals.

How much should such an item cost? And how much more for twice a day?

Wolfwood2

Explorer
What size elemental? Large? How long does the effect last? Up to 16 hours?

Assuming Large Ice or Air Elemental and an effect that lasts up to 16 hours, I'm going to say 70,000 gp.

Twice per day adds flexibility more than duration, so let's ad hoc it up to 80,000 gp.

foxwick

First Post
Wolfwood2 said:
What size elemental? Large? How long does the effect last? Up to 16 hours?

Assuming Large Ice or Air Elemental and an effect that lasts up to 16 hours, I'm going to say 70,000 gp.

Twice per day adds flexibility more than duration, so let's ad hoc it up to 80,000 gp.

From the druid ability description:
SRD said:
At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per day. These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains all the elemental’s extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. She also gains the elemental’s feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type.

At 18th level, a druid becomes able to assume elemental form twice per day, and at 20th level she can do so three times per day. At 20th level, a druid may use this wild shape ability to change into a Huge elemental.

The duration would depend on the character's level, at 1 hour per level if we're copying straight from the Druid ability. However, I think 10 mins per level would be plenty, and I'm hoping that drastically reduces the pricing. ??

The 18th-20th text is included above because once I have a base price, I'm curious what it might be for 2x/day, 3x/day, Huge size - maybe for magic item progression.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
foxwick said:
From the druid ability description:

The duration would depend on the character's level, at 1 hour per level if we're copying straight from the Druid ability. However, I think 10 mins per level would be plenty, and I'm hoping that drastically reduces the pricing. ??

Normally duration depends on the caster level of the item, not the level of the character using it.

Look, let's break down what you get and don't get from using this thing. I don't have Ice elemental stats to hand, so we'll look at a Large Air Elemental.

You switch out your physcial stats for those of an Air Elemental.
Str 14, Dex 25, Con 16
Pretty good stats.

You gain all the feats of a Large Air Elemental.
Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
This is really nice, especially the flyby attack feat. You've definitely got the abilties necessary to exploit the powers of your new form.

20 AC (not that great) and 100 foot fly speed (pretty great). You get DR 5/-, darkvision, and you're immune to critical hits. You can also turn into a whirlwind.

You lose all your magical items, but you keep all your class-based abilties like sneak attack, feats, base attack bonus, and base saves.

This thing is pretty nice. Mostly for the Fly and feats. A stealthy character or a fighter type whose feats aren't weapon-specific could do a lot of nasty things with it. Even at 10 minutes per level, I wouldn't want a character to be having this until about 13th or 14th level at the earliest. Maybe 70,000 was over-pricing it a little, but pricing is an art after all.

foxwick

First Post
Only characters with the WildShape ability would be able to use it - Druid 5 or higher, or other PrCs that grant WildShape.

The item is being designed for my Druid 14/FrostTouched (ECL 15) character, who is no longer likely to take Druid levels.

Agreed on the 'art form'. I'm hoping to bring it to 30,000 or less - even if that means making it 1 min per level duration. The physical stats and abilities, with some obvious exceptions (Whirlwind) could be gained from any number of animals with normal WildShape.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads