• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pricing Question

Winternight

First Post
How much would a ring/amulett/shoelace of Protection from evil cost?
Ist it possible to make a stone (or other item I don`t have to wear and be able to place somewhere. ) of antimagic field? If yes hoe much would that cost.
And please be so nice and explain me dummy the cost.

jgsugden

Legend
Winternight said:
How much would a ring/amulett/shoelace of Protection from evil cost?
Ist it possible to make a stone (or other item I don`t have to wear and be able to place somewhere. ) of antimagic field? If yes hoe much would that cost.
And please be so nice and explain me dummy the cost.

You're not a dummy just because the rules seem odd. The rules on magic item creation are far from simplistic. The rules contradict themselves in a few places. Your first rule of thumb when using them is to not trust them blindly. Using them without adjustments can result in some unbalanced results.

To make an item that duplicates a first level spell that operates on a continual basis, your best bet is to look at what the item does and compare it to similar items in the DMG. There are no exact formulas that work 100% of the time. In the end, you'll have to use common sense and guess out a price.

A ring that produces a continual protection from evil spell could be described in a few ways:

1.) It creates a permanent 1st level spell effect.
2.) It gives a +2 to deflection bonus to AC (versus evil foes), a +2 resistance bonus to saves (for effects coming from evil foes), it blocks possession attempts and it prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures.
3.) It acts like a protection from evil spell made permanent via permanency (which is not usually allowed).

What are some items that act like a permanent 1st level spell effect?

Bracers of Armor +4 (16,000 GP price) act like a first level spell, but that spell (mage armor) normally has a longer duration than protection from evil, so this *might* be undervalued.

Gaining a limited +2 deflection bonus and a limited +2 resistance bonus (as well as protection from possession and protection from summoned creatures) is a pretty nice collection of abilities. A +2 deflection bonus from a ring is worth 8000 by itself when it is not limited. A +2 resistance bonus is worth 4,000. Complete protection from physical attacks by summoned creatures is also a huge benefit, but only in limited circumstances. The possession thing is very strong, but only in incredibly rare circumstances. When you add all four of these abilities and consider that they come from the same source, you'd have to figure that the price again looks like it would be worth a bit more than 16,000 gold.

A scroll of permanency and a scroll of protection from evil would cost about 10, 150 gold, but the end result would be less durable than a magic item. A dispel magic cast by a caster around 9th level or higher has a good shot at permanently destroying the effect. The price of an item should certainly be more expensive than the scrolls.

When you look at all three of these things, you end up with a result that the price should probably be a bit more than 16,000 gold. Perhaps 20,000 or 25,000 gold would be a good price for an appropriate item. My opinion would place the value at 25,000 gold.

The 3.5 DMG does encourage us to increase the cost of an item if the item is being placed in an inappropriate slot. For instance, an amulet or a ring both seem like good choices for this type of effect. A shoelace (whch uses the boot slot) would seem inappropriate, so I'd consider the DMG inappropiate slot rule to apply and increase the cost of the item by 50%. If it did not use a slot at all (or created a new slot, such as a shoelace slot), I'd double the price.

In the end, you need to use common sense. When you look at your second suggested item, common sense might tell you to not allow the item at all.

A portable anti-magic spell that could be centered on a fighter type PC makes that PC incredibly powerful against spellcasters and creatures that use spell-like or supernatural abilities. A high level archer with this item could level enemies at an incredible rate. It gives complete immunity to dragon breath, beholder eyes, etc ... The effect is so strong that the item would unbalance the game significantly, even for high level characters. Yes, there are drawbacks, but the strengths of the items far outweigh the penalties. Especially when you consider that PCs can plan to work around the penalties and maximize the benefits. I would not allow such an item to be created at all. You could explain away the impossibility in a number of ways (the simplest being that the anti-magic effect application to the item disrupts the creation process and prevents the item from being finished.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads