• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pricing Rod of Easy Metamagic

drdevoid

Explorer
For those not familiar with the feat from Dragon Magazine, Easy Metamagic, it allows a character with this feat to use another specific metamagic feat which s/he already has with one less spell level adjustment (minimum one level adjustment- no free extended spell).

For example a wizard character with Easy Metamagic: Empower can empower a magic missile as a second level spell rather than a third level spell.

This feat catches my attention playing a battle-oriented cleric that needs free/swift actions like there's no tomorrow. And I got to thinking about how a "Rod of Easy Metamagic: Quicken Spell" would work and how much it would cost. And no, I don't plan on working Persistant Spell cheese with this. I also use the errated versions of the big cleric buffs.

For reference, here are the SRD Metamagic Rods

Now I'm thinking it follows the normal guidelines for the metamagic rods: a lesser (base spell 1st - 3rd level), standard (base spell 4th - 6th level), and greater (base spell 7th - 9th) as well as the feat: the character must already have the necessary metamagic feat.

The big question is pricing. I just have no idea how a rod that reduces the level adjustment anywhere from 25% to 50% would work. You still have to actually have the feat and pay some level adjustment. The wondrous items like the elemental braziers and the candle of invocation aren't the best guidelines.

Finally, I was unsure if this could be used during the preparation phase for non-spontaneous casters. The standard method of using the rod at the time of casting is clunky for a preparation caster as you would spontaneously gain a spell level.

Any ideas?

drdevoid

Explorer
Well, I've looked a little bit more and couldn't find a real starting point. I suppose part of the question being asked here is what is the formula for creating the Metamagic Rods. Or Perhaps a different take would be what are the guidelines for magic items that specifically improve feats or class abilities the character already has.

Anyway my gut instinct is that the Easy Metamagic Rods should work like this:

• The "Easy Metamagic Rods" will be usable 3 times per day
  • There is a minimum of one level adjustment after application of the Easy Metamagic Rod. (e.g. No free Extend Spell)
  • Non-spontaneous casters will use the "Easy Metamagic Rods" at the time of spell preparation
  • The rods usage will be based on the cost of the base spell prior to the application of the level adjusting metamagic feat
  • An Easy Metamagic Rod will cost approximately the same as a standard metamagic rod for a feat that requires one less level adjustment (e.g. An Easy Quicken Rod costs roughly the same as a Standard Maximize Rod.)

It still seems expensive, but that also seems more like the way the Metamagic Rods should work.

Any thoughts on this pricing scheme?

Sigurd

First Post
Mongoose Quintessential Wizard has rules for a wizard staff that can be used to reduce the cost of metamagics.

Personally, I don't think the feat is a place to start for the item. Mongoose has a general answer to "why do wizards carry staves?" that includes an approach to metamagic. To me the feat and the staff seem like different destinations to work out flavour and costs.

Sigurd

drdevoid

Explorer
Thanks for the comment, Sigurd. I'll have to take a look at Quint Wiz.

I like the Rod approach personally, but a staff, ring or even wondrous item are all just as likely. As Sigurd said, that's all a flavor approach. I'll considerl it window dressing for now.

Obviously, the metamagic system is a nice and warty mechanic that has a million different fixes (Sudden/Divine/Skill-based/PC created spells using the Metamagic template w/out the feat/etc.). I'm still not sure what I think of metapsionics and psionic focus, but that's not really pertinent to this discussion.

Taken generically, the idea here could be reduced (but not eliminated) spell level adjustments for all metamagics but not conferring the feat to the user (even on a limted use per day basis.)

I'm sticking with a reduction of one level adjustment and an interaction with only one feat (not all m-m feats). The standard rods already feature "free" metamagic use, so I don't want to further split hairs by going with a reduction of 2+ level adjustments.

Any more ideas on the pricing of such an item?

Does my eyeballing from the previous post seem correct?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads