• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Priest (variant cleric) plus a few channel divinity feats

cdrcjsn

First Post
I'm fine with the cleric in the PHB. It fits the defender of the faith type character very well.

However, I also wanted a cleric that didn't have to always attack to aid his allies. The current cleric concept also prohibits pacifist type characters (not that such characters were well supported by previous rules - BoED being the exception).

So I crunched the numbers and it seems that if you take out the Cleric's damage in a party of five, it just means that an opponent will get to live one round longer. So I used that math and tried to convert it into an effect that will remove cleric damage and turn it into a healing ability as an effect (to alleviate the extra one round of damage that a foe will do).

The following class is the result of that.

I also included a few Channel Divinity feats for some gods that I found somewhat lacking for a particular character concept I had.

The PDF contains the following:
* Priest Class
* Alternate Channel Divinity Feats for: Corellon, Moradin, Sehanine, the Raven Queen.

Attachments

• Priest.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 224

AMP Productions

First Post
Don't worry, same thing happened when I put up my myconian race. It just takes a little time.

So, I'm assuming that you are working on powers for the priest as well, or is it assumed that you just borrow the clerics powers? Interested to see what none combat powers the priest will have.

Also your new raven queens channel divinity feat has the wrong title in the red bar. The horrors of copy paste...

-Rob

Quickleaf

Legend
Just finished reading, and overall I like it. This would be a good homebrew, but not an official class because of healing spell's complexity. My gut tells me that some bizarre combinations could happen using healing spell, maybe game breaking? I don't know, only skim read that section of PHB.

Nice work on the feats - you've got a knack for making them. However, Sehanine's Trickery is overpowered. An interrupt which causes half damage of an enemy's critical to afflict a nearby enemy? I don't think any class has that kind of ability at 1st level. Consider changing it to "the attack is treated as a normal hit and you reduce the damage by an amount equal to your Charisma modifier - apply your Charisma modifier damage to an adjacent enemy."

Oh yeah, I like the "day glow" feature which gives cleric's concealment (I'd make it partial) when using a radiant power. It's a little over the top for my games, but it conveys the concept well.

keterys

First Post
The big problem I have is that it's infinite healing with no cost.

I'd suggest changing it to temporary hit points, and I'd suggest changing the radiance concealment to a +2 bonus to all defenses instead.

You could differentiate by attack type (at-will, encounter, daily) to determine amount of temp hp and/or healing it did, which would work out.

Or just design some new powers - more work, sure, but at least some of the work is done. You'd need like 2 more powers at each 'choice'.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Thanks for the replies.

re AMP Productions:
I basically just adapted the cleric class straight out of the book. This whole thing took me about an hour's work, mostly having to do with layout (I created stuff as I typed). This is a very rough draft that is in dire need of editing (oops on the copy+paste error).

re Quickleaf
The healing mechanic combined with cleric powers might cause complications, but nothing screamed broken to me when I was quickly glancing throught the cleric power list. The only exception was conjurations (adding a layer of complexity to creatures - do they heal when they attack?) and sustain effects (I wasn't sure how to balance minor action damaging effects) so I purposely excluded them from the healing effect.
Also, the healing mechanic is based on character level, not spell level (that definitely needs clarification), so it's not any harder to play.
With that said, I definitely think that priest oriented powers would be a nice addition to the cleric list options and I'll probably start working on some later this week.
Looking at it now, I agree that Sehanine's Trickery is overpowered. Armor of Bahamut just negates a crit for example, turning it into a normal attack. I'm inclined to change it to:

Immediate Reaction Close burst 5
Trigger: An enemy scores a critical hit on you or an ally.
Target: Attacking creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: The target is Dazed until the end of your next turn.
The crit still happens, but you Daze the attacker, allowing the target to move out on their next turn (Dazed creatures can't take OAs). Pelor's Radiance is an area effect and Stuns, but is a Standard Action and only affects undead (and you don't fight those every adventure). I figure a crit will happen probably at least once per combat from the bad guys (assuming 5 foes, for 5 rounds), so I downgraded the effect to a Daze instead of a Stun.

re keterys
Ideally, you're right and that custom powers would be better. But I wanted to be able to piggy back on future cleric powers that come out - plus it's less work for me =).
Regarding the infinite healing, yeah. I was trying to figure out how to fit in a healing surge mechanic in there somewhere (because of the new importance of capped healing per day in 4e), but couldn't think of one that can handle small increments of healing. Your suggestion of Temp HPs would probably work best, especially for the at-will powers.

keterys

First Post
You could probably use a scale like 'X Temp HP for at will, double that for encounter, doubled as _healing_ for daily' to be off cuff.

Remove ads