• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Priest's Shield redesign

Hof

Explorer
In the discussions on this board and the WotC forums about the recent changes to the cleric (templar), I have often seen mention of the Priest's Shield power being among the worst at-wills in the game. For the most part as a thought experiment, I redesigned it. Would you think the following power is both balanced and within the flavor of the original?

Priest's Shield Cleric Attack 1
You utter a minor defensive prayer to protect a comrade as you attack with your weapon.
At-Will Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and choose either yourself or an adjacent ally. the first enemy to hit your chosen target with an attack that targets AC before the end of your next turn, is weakened until the end of its next turn.
Level 21: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

If I'm correct, the wording should make the weakened condition apply to the damage of the triggering attack. In this form, the power acts both as a protection and a disincentive for enemies to attack either you or an ally.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
i would agree with the Jester that weakened is too powerful a condition to have as an atwill.

My gut reaction to priest's shield is that it should be something like ...
[sblock]

Hit: 1[W] damage and one ally adjacent to either you or the target gains temporary hit points equal to your Strength modifier.
Level 21: 2[W] damage and one ally adjacent to either you or the target gains temporary hit points equal to your Strength modifier.

or

Hit: 1[W] damage, and one ally adjacent to you or the target gains resistance equal to your Strength modifier until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 2[W], and one ally adjacent to you or the target gains resistance equal to your Strength modifier until the end of your next turn.

In either case, removing Strength modifier from the damage and using that amount as either temp hp or resistance. The first option being far simpler but perhaps a little on the weak side compared to other cleric atwills. While the second option is a bit more powerful than the first at the expense of a little complexity to track the duration of the resistance.

but in any case, i haven't really thought this out. i'm just making up something off the top of my head. i'd want to look more closely as to how it compares to sacred flame and the other at wills.
[/sblock]

Stalker0

Legend
I made it so that the bonus to AC was an effect. That way hit or miss its still useful. Further, it allows a priest to buff without an attack roll if they want to.

Hof

Explorer
I guess you're right, weakened is too much. I hadn't done any playtesting but was just wondering if this were an option.

If I ever play (with) a strength cleric this might come up, but until then this thought experiment is done.

FireLance

Legend
I made it so that the bonus to AC was an effect. That way hit or miss its still useful. Further, it allows a priest to buff without an attack roll if they want to.
This is what I would do, too. It is also in line with (IIRC) most of the Essentials warpriest at-will powers.

Remove ads