• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Primal Power Excerpt: The Swarm Druid

Shroomy

Adventurer
The newest Primal Power excerpt is up and it covers the swarm druid (though there are some hints about the druid paragon paths), which, as it names suggests, allows the druid to become a swarm of insects or vermin (its favored by druids from the jungle and Underdark). It looks interesting, though I hope there are some poison powers or feats, because it really fits the theme. BTW, we will be seeing the return of an old favorite, creeping doom to 4e.

Primal Power Excerpts: Swarm Druid

CubeKnight

First Post
Creeping Doom
Druid Attack 25

At your command, biting and stinging vermin spill forth to consume your enemies.
Daily
clear.gif
x.gif
clear.gif
Implement, Primal, Zone

Standard Action Close burst 1
Effect: The burst creates a zone of vermin that lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn within the zone takes 10 damage and grants combat advantage until the start of its next turn. As a move action, you can move the zone 3 squares. When the zone appears, make the following attack. As a standard action, you can repeat the attack.
Target: Each creature within the zone or adjacent to it
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: The zone persists, and you can increase its size by 1 to a maximum of burst 5.
(Emphasis on underlined)
....is it just me, or does this power target the druid too, if he's inside the area?

The newest Primal Power excerpt is up and it covers the swarm druid (though there are some hints about the druid paragon paths), which, as it names suggests, allows the druid to become a swarm of insects or vermin (its favored by druids from the jungle and Underdark). It looks interesting, though I hope there are some poison powers or feats, because it really fits the theme. BTW, we will be seeing the return of an old favorite, creeping doom to 4e.

Primal Power Excerpts: Swarm Druid
The article only refers to Swarm Druids swarming around as insects, but the artwork seems have the dude turning into a swarm of lizards. Did I miss something? (I'm fine with lizard swarm druids, btw, even if it does sound a bit odd.)

Rechan

Adventurer
Did I miss something?
You're missing that it doesn't matter what the swarm is composed of. Insects are just the most common referenced form of "swarm" because there's just not that MANY animals beyond insects that swarm.

Considering that the article says that your from could be an ever-shifting form of scales and feathers and claws, I'm pretty sure "swarm of rats" is ok.

Rechan

Adventurer
You can't hit yourself with your own close bust attack
The question is more about the persistent zone effect. A close burst, yes? But the power creates a zone in the area of effect that is sustainable. When sustained, why would the druid not be hit when he starts his turn in the area?

Jack99

Adventurer
Dwarven druids with 18/18 starting stats are going to be very popular.

@Rechan: Close Burst 1 affects the 8 squares around you. Not the square you are in. (PHB 54 and 271). So when Creeping Doom creates a zone, the square in which you are located is not within the zone.

FireLance

Legend
@Rechan: Close Burst 1 affects the 8 squares around you. Not the square you are in. (PHB 54 and 271). So when Creeping Doom creates a zone, the square in which you are located is not within the zone.
So, what happens when you move the zone? Does the little "eye" in the middle ever get "filled in"? ;)

For what it's worth, pending official clarifications, I'm going to rule that the zone excludes the central square until it is moved. Once it is moved, the central square also becomes part of the zone. So, the druid can summon creeping doom and stay safely inside the central square (unaffected by the zone) as long as he doesn't move it. Of course, forced movement can make him leave the central square and start his turn in his own zone, even if he does not move it...

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The swarm druid is going to have rather low AC if the player neglects dexterity. When you start off, a AC of 13 might be a decent trade-off for resist 4 all, but at epic level is resist 8-9 all really worth it?

Remove ads