• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

printing large images/maps

draquila

First Post
I remember reading somewhere there is software that helps cutting up large images into printable chunks (A4) that can then be spliced back together. I'd like to use this to print large battle maps. My google-fu is failing right now, could anyone point me in the right direction?

demetri0us

First Post
I'm pretty sure you can do that with Acrobat reader. I know you can do it with the full version (what I use, I don't have reader to try it out, sorry)

If your program won't export to a PDF so you can open it in Acrobat, use something like dopdf to convert the file first. Naturally, if you're using a Mac, you should be able to do this without downloading anything at all. Just use preview and/or acrobat.

Good luck!

Jimlock

Adventurer
...or you can do what you like with tabletop projection...

here's the link:
Tabletop Projection :: d20srd.org

mapProjection03_lg.jpg

mapProjection04_lg.jpg

here's the link:
Tabletop Projection :: d20srd.org

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The other method that I use that doesn't involve having to get or learn a new piece of software is to use Microsoft Excel. What I mention below is based upon using US 8 1/2 x 11" paper and not A4... but assume you can adjust the margins differently so that the results are the same

You first start by opening a New Excel spreadsheet and then go in to change the margins. Since we want 1" squares... you set the left and right margins at 0.25". This gives us 8" of usable left-right space. (8 1/2" wide paper - .5" from both margins = 8"). Then, set the top and bottom margins at .5" (giving us 11" long paper - 1" of margins = 10"). Your printable area on each sheet is now 8"x10" (or 8 squares by 10 squares).

Next, you highlight the entire sheet and expand the columns just enough such that you get 8 columns per page. For my Microsoft Excel 2003... that ends up at 9.89 column width (96 pixels). You then expand the rows to get exactly 10 rows per sheet (for me it's 72 row height or 96 pixels). This will give you sheets that are 8 columns by 10 rows out to the edges of the margins, or rows/columns that are each 1" square (or nearest you're going to get). Save this sheet as your template.

From then on... all you need to do is open a map image into the template sheet, then expand the map as big as you need so that the map's gridlines are as close to matching the spreadsheet's gridlines as possible through as much of the map as possible.

You thus have expanded your map to get its grid to 1" squares, and when you then print it, you'll get the map split up onto individual 8 1/2" x 11" sheets that you can then trim the margins off of and scotchtape together.

It's a little bit of work, but its the easiest way I've found to expand maps to 1" grids without spending any money on any other printing or 'shopping programs.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
hanging projector method: post number 5

I see that the projector is suspended by two 'L' brackets and some number 12 jack chain- i have no problems with that set up with the exception of the hook holding the chain off to the right side. I would recommend that the said hook be placed in the bottom of the next floor joist to the right. That way there is no chance of stepping on the pointy end of the screw and a more secure anchor point for the hook. I have used that kind of chain to hang a lot heavier items, but usually it is used to hang 4 bulb/2 ballast light fixtures (Magnetic ballasts at that).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads