• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prismatic Weapons

Paultimatum

First Post
These are ideas for prismatic weapons, as well as a prismatic burst weapons. I thought it would be cool to have a weapon that could deal random damage types, and I've always liked prismatic effects, so I decided to go with this as a theme:

Prismatic Weapon Level ?
This weapon shimmers with energy and color
of all types.
Lvl ?
Weapon: Any
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 per plus
Power (At Will): Free action. Roll a d10 and consult
the table below. Until the end of your current turn,
all damage dealt by this weapon is of that type. This
power can only be used once per round.
1. Fire 2. Cold 3. Lightning 4. Thunder
5. Force 6. Psychic 7. Poison 8. Acid
9. Necrotic 10. Radiant
Power (Daily): Free action. Use this power when you
hit with this weapon. Choose one damage type from the
list above. All damage dealt by this attack is of this type,
and deal an additional d10 damage of this type.

Prismatic Burst Weapon Level ?
This weapon pulses with energy, which occasionally
manifests itself as an unpredictable and devastating
blast.
Weapon: Any ranged
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 per plus
Power (Daily): Free action. The next ranged basic attack you make before the end of your turn becomes a burst 1 centered on the target. Use your normal attack bonus for the basic attack, but instead of the normal defense target and damage, roll a d10 and consult the table below.
1. 1d6 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends). Targets reflex.
2. 1d8 cold damage and the target is slowed (save ends). Targets fortitude.
3. 1d6 lightning damage and any enemies that start their turn within two squares of the target take 2 lighting damage (save ends). Targets reflex.
4. 1d6 thunder damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn. Targets fortitude.
5. 1d6 force damage and the target is knocked prone. Targets reflex.
6. 1d6 psychic damage and you can slide the target 2 squares. Targets will.
7. 1d4 poison damage and the target is weakened until the end of your next turn. Targets fortitude.
8. 1d10 acid damage. Miss: half damage. Targets reflex.
9. 1d6 necrotic damage and you gain 3 temporary hit points per target hit. Targets reflex.
10. 1d6 radiant damage and target takes a -2 penalty to defenses until the end of your next turn. Targets will.

What level would these items be? Are they balanced, and are the various prismatic burst effects balanced? After five or so it was hard to come up with unique ideas that weren't too powerful. I didn't add scaling effects because I wasn't sure what level they'd be to start with, and the stats were long enough as it is :p. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
After five or so it was hard to come up with unique ideas that weren't too powerful.
Then I suggest you change the random die into a d6! :)

More generally, I like how you have phrased the powers so you need to roll the random die each turn. (You can't roll until you get the damage type you need, and then let that type stay "dialed in", which would have been much to powerful).

Of course, effectively having only a 10% chance of getting the damage type you need each round makes me think you could probably price the weapon at the same level as any ordinary "damage type weapon". There's probably enough leeway left that you could boost them somewhat - which tells me your design is sound: much better to start out with a somewhat underpowered item and work upwards, than to begin with a completely overpowered item and try to nerf it back to par from there.

Last edited:

chronoplasm

First Post

More generally, I like how you have phrased the powers so you need to roll the random die each turn.

I don't like that. I prefer to minimalize my rolling each turn. Too much rolling takes too long and it's too much to keep track of when there are other things going on.

Paultimatum

First Post
That might be what I end up doing, it could be a better idea, but I'm not sure which damage types to remove, or which of the effects are overpowered (if there are any, although there probably is at least one unfair effect). Its also fine if not all the options are the exact same potency, some rolls could be better than others, but I hope to have none of them be completely broken for a lowish level magic item (this is for the prismatic burst weapon). A regular burst weapon, such as flameburst, would be level 3, but i think it might be higher (4?) because some effects are more powerful. For the prismatic weapon, I'm glad it seems like it could be the same level as regular damage type weapon (it would be lvl 5, like flaming?), that's what I was aiming for, and I agree it's better to start low and improve. As an idea for giving it more power, what about choosing the damage type on criticals?

I don't like that. I prefer to minimalize my rolling each turn. Too much rolling takes too long and it's too much to keep track of when there are other things going on.
It's true, more rolling isn't ideal, but it's only one more roll a round, and only when you choose to use the power. Since effectivly being able to choose your damage type by rolling many times and locking in the one that you want would be much too powerfull, like CapnZapp said, the only other alternative I could think of was making the power type choice an encounter power and having it stick. In my opinion, keeping track of the damage your weapon does each encounter is about as much work as rolling, because if you roll each attack you don't need to remember previous results. Besides, having only one chance at a good damage type would tend to make it more of an all or nothing effect. Any ideas to fix this other approch, or new ideas? I personally don't mind rolling too much, but I can see it being a problem for some.

Edit: I seem to have done the quoting wrong. How do I get it to show the original poster?

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
What I meant was that the powers become too powerful if you can just roll and reroll until you get the damage type you need, and then let the weapon stay that way.

If you "prefer to minimalize my rolling each turn" then perhaps you shouldn't choose a prismatic weapon for your character. And as a DM, perhaps you should avoid any monster with recharge powers? Eh? :hmm:

Or, you could keep this idea, but save many many more rolls at the other end, by using the "maximized damage" variant rule...

Paultimatum

First Post
Did i read it wrong, or does using the prismatic burst weapon's ability actually reduce damage unless you use a shortbow, hand crossbow or sling?

No, you read it right, as it is now you deal less damage in return for effecting a larger area in stead of a single target, and adding conditions. This is the same thing a flameburst weapon does, by replacing all damage with a burst 1 ongoing 5 fire damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads