• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

probably obvious question about skills

Veven1290

First Post
this is just one of those things i should have known for a while now but just never really thought about.

If my first level has a skill, lets say diplomacy, as a class skill but i take i different class that does not have diplomacy at second level can i still put max ranks of 5 into it? If i maxed it out at first level could i spend two points to bump it up to 5 at second?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
this is just one of those things i should have known for a while now but just never really thought about.

If my first level has a skill, lets say diplomacy, as a class skill but i take i different class that does not have diplomacy at second level can i still put max ranks of 5 into it? If i maxed it out at first level could i spend two points to bump it up to 5 at second?

Yes. Obviously, if you're planning to go back into the class with diplomacy later on, it would be more efficient to save your skill points until then and not pay twice as much. But once you've had it as a class skill, you are able to put level +3 ranks in it, no matter what.

Veven1290

First Post
soooo...if you are a level 1 human factotum with able learner...every skill is effectively a class skill for ever? regardless of any class you take after that..?

Water Bob

Adventurer
It's needlessly complicated, isn't it?

I don't think so. It make sense. If you are 1st level as a ranger than then mutliclass into a Ranger/Thief (is that combo allowed in regular D&D? I don't know...I don't play regular D&D), then you go to the city and spend the next game year robbing those poor people of their wealth, why should you be able to increase your Survival skill if you haven't been in the woods in a while?

When you multiclass, just look at your new class as if you were single classed.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Also don't think it's needless complicated. Once it's explained to someone, which takes but a moment to do, they generally understand and remember how it works.

And if you COULD just dip a skills class and permanently get all of those skills as true class skills costing one point per rank, it would be tremendously abused, to the severe detriment of the high skill classes. At least the Factotum + Able Learner combo requires a feat, and I'd still call it a mild rules abuse...

radmod

First Post
Also don't think it's needless complicated. Once it's explained to someone, which takes but a moment to do, they generally understand and remember how it works.

And if you COULD just dip a skills class and permanently get all of those skills as true class skills costing one point per rank, it would be tremendously abused, to the severe detriment of the high skill classes. At least the Factotum + Able Learner combo requires a feat, and I'd still call it a mild rules abuse...

Absolutely agree. My current DM specifically stated that once you had a class skill, it became a class skill forever. After I showed him how many skill points I would have and how I could spend them, he readily agreed to do it the standard way.

Remove ads