• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Problem players

Technomancer

First Post
I disagree. Issues between players should not be worked out between characters. Resolving player issues by in-game proxy is kind of the definition of passive-aggressive, and negative reinforcement (swatting someone with a rolled-up newspaper when they do something wrong, f'rex) is not a reliable training technique.

It's not an issue between players, it's an issue between characters, if I understood correctly (referring to problem #2). The issue is that the problem player's PC is doing things IC that are problematic for the other PCs. It would totally be appropriate for the other PCs to respond to his IC actions with IC actions of their own.

steenan

Adventurer
It's not an issue between players, it's an issue between characters, if I understood correctly (referring to problem #2). The issue is that the problem player's PC is doing things IC that are problematic for the other PCs. It would totally be appropriate for the other PCs to respond to his IC actions with IC actions of their own.

If something is an issue between characters and not between players than it's not a problem to be solved. Things that players are OK with, but the PCs disagree, are the fun things to roleplay and can often be what drives the action. So if players don't see this as a problem, there is no need for the GM do do anything about it, other than encourage.

On the other hand, if one PC's behavior is problematic for the players, then it's definitely an OOC issue that must be solved by a mature conversation between players and not through characters' actions. Trying to solve player problems in game usually only makes things worse, leading to unnecessary escalation and hurt feelings.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not an issue between players

Quoth the OP: "The other party members have told me they are annoyed by these two "

Unless the *characters* have the special ability "speak with GM", we are talking about players, not characters, complaining to the GM, and it *is* a problem.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads