• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Problem Rules - Help me out with this list of debatable rules.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nish: The PHB explains negative levels before the spell section. So, you're already supposed to know how negative levels work! Why would they bother printing it twice in the same book.

Reference?

I can find no mention of negative levels before the Spells section. "Energy drain" is given as an example of an effect that gets a Fort save on p120, and as an example of a Su ability on p158. No mention of what effects it has.

And as I said in another thread, if you have a first printing PHB, then there is no mention of -5hp per level anywhere in the Core Rules.

It's fine to let people know that the rule exists and has been omitted from their book. In this case, it's not fine to be sarcastic about it, because as far as we're concerned, the rule simply isn't there.

-Hyp.

Nish

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Reference?

I can find no mention of negative levels before the Spells section. "Energy drain" is given as an example of an effect that gets a Fort save on p120, and as an example of a Su ability on p158. No mention of what effects it has.

And as I said in another thread, if you have a first printing PHB, then there is no mention of -5hp per level anywhere in the Core Rules.

It's fine to let people know that the rule exists and has been omitted from their book. In this case, it's not fine to be sarcastic about it, because as far as we're concerned, the rule simply isn't there.

-Hyp.
See.

It may not be an issue to some people, but to many it is.

Can we add it to the list now?

reapersaurus

Explorer
Artoomis - great work by the way.

As for your #3 : the paladin mount advancement.
I'm more interested in them clarifying if a Celestial Warhorse gains HD, does it get any abilities that the Celestial Template grants for the new HD amount.

Treacherous

First Post
I didn't see mentioned the question of exactly what kind of spells a potion can be made from. I would be happy to go over all the issues involved in this rule.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I recommend changing the Empower "ray of enfeeblement" example into Empower "some other spell".

This is because there has already been clarification (by the Sage?) that ray of enfeeblement causes an enhancement penalty and so isn't subject to Empower.

As I write this, it sounds like balony even though it seemed reasonable when I originally read it :)

Nonetheless, it is really just a special case of the Empower "shocking grasp" question isn't it? i.e. does the per level addition get multiplied or not.

Cheers

EOL

First Post
Treacherous said:
I didn't see mentioned the question of exactly what kind of spells a potion can be made from. I would be happy to go over all the issues involved in this rule.
I would be interested in that, I had a real power gamer in my group, a fighter, who was always sucking down shield potions to get his AC into the totally unhittable range, sometimes I think alot of the magic item abuses would have been avoided if they'd made range personal spells more difficult to put into magic items.

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
EOL said:

I would be interested in that, I had a real power gamer in my group, a fighter, who was always sucking down shield potions to get his AC into the totally unhittable range, sometimes I think alot of the magic item abuses would have been avoided if they'd made range personal spells more difficult to put into magic items.

I *think* that there was an errata you can't have Range:personal spells in potions. I could be wrong, though, so I'll check the FAQ if I have time.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Dispel Magic

Here's a topic that you might want to include in the list. Posted below is the response from WotC:
- - -

1) If a fighter is hit by a targeted Dispel Magic and that fighter is holding a flaming sword that has had Greater Magic Weapon cast upon it, is the sword affected?

Yes.

Do we need to make the dispel check to see if the GMW spell is removed from the sword even though the fighter (not the sword) was the target of the dispel?

A creature's equipment is part of the creature.

2) If instead the fighter and sword are caught in an area Dispel Magic, is the Greater Magic Weapon spell cast upon the sword in any danger?

Possibly. Th sword is part of the creature, and the greater magic weapon effect goes into the queue of effects that might be dispelled,

For number 1, logically I would think "yes", but the spell description is pretty clear in saying "One object, creature, or spell is the target of the spell. ". Since the sword (not the character) was the target of the Greater Magic Weapon spell, it seems that it would have to be the target of a Dispel trying to get rid of it. Or do you get a bunch of objects for free when you target a creature?

See first answer.

For number 2, again I would think that the sword should be affected, but the spell description says "Magic items are not affected by area dispels. " I assume this meant that (only) the inherent magical properties of magical items are not suppressed, but that is not what is written. Any clarification (either on the rules as written or on the intent) would be much appreciated.

You assume correctly,
Also see second answer.

Psifon

First Post
Problem rules: Power Lunge

Does Power Lunge grant 2x normal strength or 2.5X normal Strength bonus to damage?

The errata states "A sucessful attack during a charge allows you to inflict double your normal strength modifier for damage regaurdless of whether you are using one- or two-handed weapons."

My interpretation of this is that you do two times your STR bonus regaurdless of which type of weapon you are using.

The wrong interpretation of this is that you use "D&D math" to add the "doubling" in to what a two handed weapon does. So that you get +1.5x your Strenth bonus for the two handed weapon, and you get an additional +1x your Str bonus for the power lunge for a total of +2.5x your damage bonus.

In a related arguement, the same mistaken person stated that the bonus from power lunge was only added in once when you score a critical hit. His logic was that you multipy each individual bonus, and, using the same "D&D math" you only get the bonus added in once. So that if you had a fighter with an 14 Str, using a +2 greataxe with a power lunge on a critical hit you would get:

1d12 x 2 = 3d12
Str +2 x 1.5 = + 3 x 3 = +9 + Power lunge (+2)= +11
Magic bonus +2 x 3 = + 6

Total damage 3d12+17

However, as it states under critical hits, ALL bonuses are added to EACH die roll on a critical hit, so the true equasion would be:

1d12
Str +2 x 2 (power lunge) = +4
Magic Bonus + 2

Crit Damage = 3(1d12+6) = 4d6+18

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads