• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Problems with pronunciation

Chaoszero

First Post
Has any one ever ran into a player outside (or even inside) you group that pronounces DnD words a little . . . differently?

Does drow rhyme with cow or slow?

What about the elder of annihilation? Is it the trask? Tarask? Taraskyu?

Is it necromatic or necromantic?

Are sea devils called Saw-who-again or Saw-ha-gwin?

Is the Lord of Worms Key-us or Kigh-us?

These are just the ones I can come up with at the moment.
What about you?

Asmor

First Post
Cow.

How does someone not know how to pronounce annihilation? Unless the key word there was elder, in which case... well, never mind.

tuh-RASK

There are two n's in necromantic for a reason. Pronounce both of them, please.

Suh-WHA-gin (hard g at the end)

KAI-uss

Whimsical

Explorer
Asimor: putting the romance back into necromancy. :)

I used to pronounce Drow to sound like row, but now I have it sound like cow.

Someone caught me off guard with their pronunciation of Asmodeus. I say As-mo-de-us. He said Ass-mo-day-us. We're probably both wrong.

kibbitz

First Post
Wonder if we'll ever have have an official D&D dictionary with phonetics :p I am guilty of alternating between drow and cow and row... and there's that ixitxachitl thing... which one of the three used on wikipedia is the proper one, ish-it-SHACH-itl? and is itl = it followed by a "l" sound?A

Chaoszero

First Post
I figure creatures that have roots in mythology are easier to pronounce, just go to wikipedia. ;) (except for monsters from pre-columbian america; in that case its hopeless.)

Another one would be Aasimar. I always found that one tough.

And btw, am I the only one who pronounces death magic nek-RAHM-ansee?

The drow pronunciantion was made canon (to me) in the 2nd DnD movie.

Asmor

First Post
Wonder if we'll ever have have an official D&D dictionary with phonetics :p I am guilty of alternating between drow and cow and row... and there's that ixitxachitl thing... which one of the three used on wikipedia is the proper one, ish-it-SHACH-itl? and is itl = it followed by a "l" sound?A

Someone on this forum put forth 'ee-shee-sha-cheet-lee,' and I've adopted that. Supposedly the 'x' represents an 'sh' sound from one central american tongue or another.

Jack99

Adventurer
Imagine how hard and confusing it is at times for those of us who do not have English as a native language.. I am sure we have some pretty funny ways of pronouncing (certain) D&D names.

Henrix

Explorer
melee: it is pronounced may-lay not me-lee. It really bugs me when people mispronounce this one.
[/url]

Uhm, possibly mey-ley, actually, but not may-lay (which isn't supported by the link you gave, by the way).
My Oxford English Dictionary has it as me-lei or męle.
Here's the french pronounciation of the verb mêler (to mix).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads