D&D 5E Problems with Tales from the Yawning Portal

Cistern

Explorer
Old thread, but great thread. Running Hidden Shrine right now. I noticed that the thorn slingers in Room 38 have their size listed as Large in their stat block. Being Large, there's no way they would fit in the 5x5 squares where they're supposed to be sitting on. My guess is it's a simple change to Medium on the block for consistency.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
  • MAP ISSUES
    • Map 1.1: Fortress Level, Room 10: The map shows a statue icon in every alcove, despite the fact that the text on pg 15 makes it clear there should not be one in the southwestern alcove (as that is where the quasit was originally bound as a guardian).
    • Map 1.1: Fortress Level, Room 30: This room appears to be an open balcony with a parapet on the map, although this is not backed up by the room's description on pg 21. [It is worth noting, however, that the read-aloud text from the original 3e module includes the following line: "The northern wall is smashed, opening on rubble-strewn darkness."]
    • Map 6.1: Hill Giant Stronghold, Upper Level, Room 5: The maids' chamber has no door. According to the map from the original adventure, there should be a door on the east wall, opening into the hallway.
    • Giant Strongholds, General: Most corridors in all three Giant Lairs are too narrow for the Giants to actually fight in without squeezing, which is a significant penalty in 5e. This is a hang-over from the AD&D days, when most giants were Large not Huge; the 5e maps have not been re-sized. DM's might prefer to enlarge the maps, or allow their giants to be Large, given it's assumed that the Giants built their own lairs hence would size them appropriately.
    • All the maps are garbage and nigh illegible
Fixed it for you. ;)

S'mon

Legend
I bought Forge of Fury & Against the Giants TFTYP on Roll20 recently - finally I have some decent maps! :D
Thinking about resizing most of the Huge tokens to Large though, the scale issue is definitely a problem.

Old thread, but great thread. Running Hidden Shrine right now. I noticed that the thorn slingers in Room 38 have their size listed as Large in their stat block. Being Large, there's no way they would fit in the 5x5 squares where they're supposed to be sitting on. My guess is it's a simple change to Medium on the block for consistency.
They are plants, they grow to fit the space available.

I bought Forge of Fury & Against the Giants TFTYP on Roll20 recently - finally I have some decent maps! :D
Thinking about resizing most of the Huge tokens to Large though, the scale issue is definitely a problem.

5e makes giants a lot bigger than when the adventure was written, and they didn't scale up their living quarters to match. The best thing to do is to rescale (or rather, change the numbers on the scale setting) the map so each square is 15' rather than 10', and shrink all the tokens down to the appropriate size for the new scale.

One trick you can do with R20 is, instead of setting the grid cell distance to 15 feet, change the cell width from 1 to 0.33. This has the effect of subdividing the cells, and therefore making the PC tokens look really tiny. In a giant's house the giants are normal sized.

Remove ads