• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Product durability and buying habits

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
Hey all. I'm a long-time lurker but I'm pretty heavily invested in 4E like the rest of you. A mix of mild nerd rage and perplexity inspired me to write this diatribe about WOTC's recent business strategy and my psychology as a consumer. Hopefully the bean-counters at Hasbro will take notice.

I've been playing D&D since 1998 but only became heavily invested in the game when 4E came on the scene. In the past three years I have probably poured more than $1,000 into WOTC. Like many DMs I treasure my collection of full-color hardcover gaming books. Sifting through my boxes of minis gives me the same rush of euphoria that a dragon must get from rolling around in piles of gold. I don't regret purchasing any of it. I distinctly remember my train of thought while purchasing the goods.

When I spent $400 on hardcover books I thought - These are chock-full of awesome art. They look great on the shelf as a collection, just like my friends massive collections of books from previous editions. I still peruse through the older edition books for inspiration and likewise I intend to do the same in the decades ahead with these. These relax my eyes and bring me so much joy after spending the entire working day, 45 hours a week, performing work on a computer.

When I spent $600 on miniatures I thought - While not cheap, these are an awesome value. Since all my hero quest figurines broke I can use them to replace my old HQ figures (or any other tabletop game) when I play with old friends, nephews, and possibly one day my own children. I intend for these to be with me when I'm gaming in a retirement home. Hell, I want to be buried with these things.

I recently moved and went through the process of evaluating every earthly possession to deem whether it merited moving or tossing. I noticed all of my paperbacks and board games, the ones I really enjoyed and reread/replayed and moved from apartment to apartment, were destroyed - nearly unusable. Broken figurines, missing manuals, long-lost covers, spines about ready to split. I also found a hard-cover copy of The Hobbit, from 1966, in a box full of elven runes. I'd pay $30 for something this cool at a used bookstore.

I was hoping 4E would get the same treatment as 2E and 3E with more than a dozen campaign settings, extensive third party support, etc. Instead this is what I'm seeing from WOTC:

Booklets: The content of MV and HOFL/HOFK looks really solid. Unfortunately given how much use they would get I don't think they will last as long as PHB3/MM3. Also a single column just doesn't quite do it for me... maybe one day we'll get an expanded hardcover reprint versions with sprawling pages. Until then I don't want to see the spine crack and tear on another book I really love - I can't bear the loss.
Board games: Again the content looks cool. However I like to mix my gaming materials up. Ultimately I think the products would all get lost. Looking at my broken Hero Quest box I've had since I was 6 - it's like watching a grandparent get Alzheimer's and become confined to a hospital bed. You want to have a good time with them like you used to but you just can't anymore :(
Box sets: The content of Shadowfell looks cool, but I wish they would just publish a 400 page hardcover book. The maps might be nice for a game and the pogs will help new DMs with the minis. The cards would never come unwrapped. Ultimately $40 is too much for a 128 page book that would probably get destroyed and a 32 page book that would certainly not last.
Online content: Again, I'm sure the content is awesome, but I work in front of a computer. And I keep up with friends on facebook, and use it to read the news, and pay my bills. I need a break! My eyes are straining writing this. Reading The Plane Above in bed at midnight is not the same as reading a PDF in front of an LCD screen. Color ink is expensive and printouts just don't last or cut it on a bookshelf.
Cards: I have yet to meet one person that is enthusiastic about adding cards to D&D. Even if I wanted to purchases these I can not imagine I could find, for the life of me, six tabletop gamers of any gaming background, age-group, economic status or any combination in my area that would even tolerate a player using purchased cards to gain extra power. I understand the importance of profit and these cards must appeal to the bean-counters for their high profit margins. I just cannot, based on my 12 years as a tabletop gamer, identify anyone in gaming they think would purchase these.

I really love the 4E system and would not have a problem throwing money at WOTC. I've always understood that WOTC is a business and businesses MUST make money, without business D&D wouldn't exist. And businesses naturally find methods to increase profit. The equation just doesn't work if the business can't create products consumers want to buy. I have been a dedicated consumer and I really feel like WOTC is no longer interested in creating products that I want to buy. The kind of of durable, sturdy products that look awesome on a bookshelf and DMs treasure for decades.

Fortunately I've found a silver lining. Importing monsters and mechanics into 4E from other systems by reskinning content from other systems is effortless. 2E books are still awesome reads full of inspiration. Paizo is now the gold-standard for production value and page-count. So until WOTC reconsiders writing MMIV, DMG3, maybe another Dark Sun hardcover and a big fat Feywild book (not a box), I'll be taking my money to Paizo and the used book stores for inspiration.

Yeah, everyone's tastes are valid. There apparently are a lot of people who like boxed sets. I'm not sure about softcovers in general, but I think WotC really intended them to be inexpensive as possible to provide a cheap way to play 4e (not everyone has large gaming budgets, personally I figure I can afford to spend maybe $100 this year with other demands on cash).

Mostly I think I share your preferences, but if the choice is between WotC putting out nothing or putting out a couple things as boxed sets, I guess I'll take the later.

And for the record, I still have a lot of games I purchased back in the 80's and have played 100's and 100's of times. They do wear, but they were fun and most of them are still playable (well except for the original Cosmic Encounter that a rabbit decided to tunnel through the middle of....).

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
Bringing down barriers to entry are important so I totally support them creating box sets, DDI, booklets, pogs, etc. These just aren't the products I want and I think I'm pretty typical of the crowd that pays the salaries of WOTC. As the core audience I feel like we should get a few really good books a year. We support this company more than the other demographics - we should be first in line.

Who doesn't love opening a massive book of monsters to a random page and finding a new detail about the monster buried in whichever section of the four columns of text your eyes landed on? It sends a very strong message to me when $40 gets a box from WOTC with two flimsy booklets and some "horror cards" while Paizo publishes the non-core monster manual I always wanted for the same price (Bestiary 2 is crazy awesome...). Not publishing such products seems symptomatic of a larger trend since the beginning of 4E of WOTC repeatedly sacrificing sacred cows, damaging their brand, creating smaller products with less value and alienating their base.

Everyone's taste is legitimate. But I don't think I'm offending anyone when I attack those cards...

I have no idea if you would be offending anyone by attacking those cards. I don't presume to know the tastes of others.

If WotC's 'sacrificing of sacred cows' is an issue for you, then maybe 4e isn't the system your interested in. 4e was all about modernizing the game and thinking about it out of the box. Thus some sacred cows got killed. I'd also note that 3e killed a rather significant number of them as well when it came out, so this is not something that is brand new. If 4e was just a warmed-over 3.5 there'd really be rather little point in it to start with.

Personally I've found 4e from the start to be high quality and a great game, so I have purchased rather a large amount of 4e stuff. When they decided to put out the Essentials softcover books I bought a couple of them because they were cheap and convenient. I can hand the HotFL and RC to people at the table and they can make a character or go read them and understand the rules. I find that useful. I'm also not at all convinced these books are flimsy and won't hold up. Honestly, having bought 1e books when they came out NOTHING is near as durable as those, and the 4e hardbacks don't even hold a candle to them in physical quality, so I guess I'm resigned to books that last a while but do fall apart (like all the 2e and 3.x books always do).

As for boxed sets. Well, really, it is a matter of taste. You're assuming your taste is the same as everyone else's. I'm sure to SOME extent that's likely, but I know lots of people that love the boxed sets. Personally I'm ambivalent about them, but if the contents are good I may buy them. I have HoS which is a nice book, and I might add is a hardback just like all the original 4e books.

So, I am not really all that convinced that WotC is wrecking 4e. They're trying some new things. Some of them, like the cards, may be a bit silly IMHO, but others are perfectly good options that may well prove to be well accepted by a lot of people. Sure, WotC should cater to as many of its customers desires as it can, but obviously they found that selling endless more Power books wasn't cutting it for them.

GregoryOatmeal

First Post
I will definitely be sticking with 4e and support all efforts they have made to modernize the mechanics. In my experience the problems people have with 4E are almost strictly related to presentation rather than content. The medium of delivery, codification of roles, poorly-explained powers, smaller books, larger fonts, and apparent flatness of classes and similarities to WOW are all serious turn-offs for many gamers considering 4th edition. But it is worth noting none of these issues have any impact on the quality of the game. 4e plays like a streamlined roleplaying game with flexible and powerful rules that don't need to constantly be consulted. Unfortunately it looks like a tabletop MMO/hackfest/board game/mandatory online subscription/Magic knockoff money machine where players can randomly get more powers by purchasing booster packs. The game has a serious image problem. This is unfortunate because the game actually plays a lot better than it looks.

So I'm upset with Wizards for creating this awesome system, failing to present it well and alienating the bulk of their core consumers. In my town and my age group (18-30) it is an almost surefire bet the average gamer loathes 4e - although many have hardly played it if at all. It frustrates me because it's so damn hard here to find a good group of 4E players or a DM. Rather than doubling down and trying to recapture the audience after an incredible 2010 and making the campaign setting and monster manual I've always dreamed of, WOTC seems to think their core audience is so small it's not worth holding on to. Any amount of revenue they rake in from fortune cards can never compensate for the revenue they lost when they lost such a huge share of the market to Paizo.

I just wish they would come back swinging and made 2011 the year they resurrected Planescape or Ravenloft and threw in a nice 350 page Monster Manual IV dripping with flavor text. Continuing to present gamers with the options they really want would make it a lot easier to go along with sacrificing the other cows that simply need to go.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads