• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Product Idea: Region Anthology

Would you buy it?

• Sure

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 1 4.5%

arms

Explorer
sounds fun, I wonder how much variation you'd want to put in and if you'd want a few hex maps that show the connection between a few regions (a hill region transforming in a plains region being traversed by a river region) and how large each map should be, I can imagine it being a lot of work

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I do intend, eventually, to create a SotSA campaign setting. I just felt it might be a bit... niche... for my first kickstarter!

Settings notoriously don't do great numbers on Kickstarter, though they can and do succeed. Plus I need art that isn't place-holders for formatting purposes.
That is wonderful to hear. I do understand that settings don't sell as well. Usually the successful ones are very unique, from famous authors, or are ones that you can easily plop into a different world or setting.
It seems rare now a days to find settings that are Egyptian, Persian, or even a more generic Arabian themed but I think they are wonderful and can easily fit into other worlds since they are so geographically oriented.

xiphumor

Legend
One thing about this book (which I am dubbing the Disassembled Atlas until anyone stops me) is that it seems more like a how-to guide than a setting per se. I think that could be a selling point.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
One thing about this book (which I am dubbing the Disassembled Atlas until anyone stops me) is that it seems more like a how-to guide than a setting per se. I think that could be a selling point.
All of that sounds great. An A5e version of the old 2e Worldbuilder's Guidebook would be a guaranteed buy for me.

Novak

Explorer
I would strongly consider buying this, if for no other reason than to see how other people approach this. (I am too controlling to actually drop content into one of my settings, wholesale....)

scaramouche

Explorer
For me, the key would be to make it a toolkit more than a gazette. I mean, gazette is fine, but, as many people have mentioned, they have their own home table settings. Also, there's a tendency for gazette content to be quite euro-centric, either in placement or perspective. A toolkit would be really great, though, perhaps with example gazette-adjacent content to bring it to life.

While this is perhaps beyond our immediate capabilities, I'd also like to have some real geological advice for how some of these terrains could interact, for verisimilitude. Obviously magic hijinx can change everything, but just some tidbits about the interaction of rivers and forests, of mountains and rainfall, can help people create really rich and immersive environments.

arms

Explorer
For me, the key would be to make it a toolkit more than a gazette. I mean, gazette is fine, but, as many people have mentioned, they have their own home table settings. Also, there's a tendency for gazette content to be quite euro-centric, either in placement or perspective. A toolkit would be really great, though, perhaps with example gazette-adjacent content to bring it to life.

While this is perhaps beyond our immediate capabilities, I'd also like to have some real geological advice for how some of these terrains could interact, for verisimilitude. Obviously magic hijinx can change everything, but just some tidbits about the interaction of rivers and forests, of mountains and rainfall, can help people create really rich and immersive environments.
I agree, that would be fun to add, but that is also general world building advice, so maybe this Dissassembled Atlas will then become a world building guide using the LevelUp system

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Really like this idea. A resource like this could spark as many campaigns as there are regions in it; could even allow an aspect of shared continuity in multi-DM groups, with each DM running their game in a different setting from the book.
If the regions are anything like the depth and richness of the Scorpion Age setting (which I’m sure they would be), this would be an awesome product.

xiphumor

Legend
This might be more feasible than you think, seeing as there are some great world building video channels like Artifexian on YouTube that go into detail on exactly that. If we can translate his content into some simple guidelines, then most of the work has already been done.

arms

Explorer
This might be more feasible than you think, seeing as there are some great world building video channels like Artifexian on YouTube that go into detail on exactly that. If we can translate his content into some simple guidelines, then most of the work has already been done.
That should be relatively simple to do, I think
a (badly written) example:
"In general a mountain region is sandwiched in between a desert regio and a forrest regio"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads