• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Products Based on Ancient Civilizations

Androrc

First Post
I have been looking for products based on ancient civilizations, and thus far found the following:

Egypt
Entombed with the Pharaohs (Paizo)
Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra (Green Ronin)
Gary Gygax's Necropolis (Necromancer Games)
Osirion, Land of Pharaohs (Paizo)
The Pact Stone Pyramid (Paizo)
Prestige Classes: Desert Heroes (Lion's Den Press; from Hamunaptra's author)

Greece
Master at Arms: Hoplite (Blackdirge)
Master at Arms: Peltast (Blackdirge)
The New Argonauts (Sean K Reynold Games)
Trojan War (Green Ronin)

Hittites
Testament: The Hittites (Green Ronin)

Mesopotamia
Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia (Necromancer Games)
No Other Gods (An Adventure for Testament) (Highmoon Games, in association with Green Ronin)
Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era (Green Ronin)

Nordic
Midgard: Northlands (Open Design)
Northlands Saga 1: Vengeance of the Long Serpent (Frog God Games)

Rome

Eternal Rome (Green Ronin)

Any clues on where can I find more (of at least decent quality)?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Avalance Press had some books that were not bad. They have a bad reputation though thanks to their covers. In the many years since they have been released I don't recall any good message board discsussion about them that focused on content.

Necromancer Games ha a pretty good book called Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia.

2e D&D had a good line of green cover books that dealt with historical settings.

While not D&D GURPS has some great books on historical ancient settings that are easily used with any game. I've personally had a lot of success with their Roman and Greek books.

warushiru

Explorer
The quickest way would be to put a search into either RPGNow or DrivethruRPG for Rome or Roman.

It came up with about 735 items. All of them aren't about Roman RPG but you get a fair number of hits especially -
[SIZE=-1]Roma Imperious True20[/SIZE]

Which I have and is awesome.

Thanael

Explorer
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Necropolis-Generic-System-Gary-Gygax/dp/1588461165]Gary Gygax' Necropolis[/ame] (this is the d20 version, there's also an older one for Dangerous Journeys/Mythus ~= AD&D)

There are lots of Indian and Oriental themed products in the d20 era. Not sure if any of them qualify for ancient-ness though.

There probably are errata and web anhancement from Green Ronin for the Mythic Vistas line and certainly from Necromancer Games for Mesopotamia (here and here). Also check out Tim's (unofficial) RPG errata and appendices for the Mythic Vistas line.

As for Nordic settings, Open Design's The Northlands (also has some supplemental products just browse the paizo store), and Frog God Games' serial Northlands saga have had some great review.

How accurately historical and how ancient do you want ? Most of the ones noted are already including quite a bit fantasy. Does Conan/Hyperborian material qualify?

Last edited:

Androrc

First Post
Nice :)

Unfortunately I can't give you experience points right now, Thanael =P

I'm looking for products that share an ancient civilization's feel, look and other characteristics, but not necessarily be a description of the ancient civilization itself; for instance, Osirion and Egypt.

As for Indian-based products yes, that would be great as well.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
Temple of Ra, Accursed by Set

TEMPLE OF RA ACCURSED BY SET - JG 0117
<A href="http://mboone.tripod.com/jg0117.jpg">
jg0117_t.jpg
An AD&D adventure through an Egyptian-style temple, desecrated long ago by evil forces. Adventuring parties now wander it, searching for loot, and the forces of good have also entered to protect the ancient relics and restore the balance. Several new monsters are prominently featured in this 16-page booklet. The temple was originally set up for play in three-dimensional form for use with 25mm lead miniatures; instructions are provided to the Judge so that it can be set up that way. This is a nice quick adventure for a single evening, but is capable of being worked into a larger campaign as the Judge desires. The playing aid has been approved for use with AD&D.

[sblock]"Set, Set, Merchant of Death
Fill all the world with your bone-chilling breath."[/sblock]

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The D&D Hollow World line had many accessories based on real world civilizations.

Kingdom of Nithia = Egypt
Azcan Empire = Aztecs
Milenian Empire = Hellenic Greeks

The Blood Brethren adventure Trilogy introduces an ancient India-themed nation.

Speaking of India, the nation of Sind in the Known World has a gazetteer in the Champions of Mystara boxed set.

Thyatis is often looked as a blend of Rome or Byzantium

The nation of Nimmur in the Savage Coast line is based on Sumeria, but little was developed.

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
ShowImage.aspx

a great egypt-based adventure for AD&D 2nd edition...

It doesn't just introduce some egyptian stuff to spice it up....

The whole adventure feels like the players have teleported to egypt...(the sites... gods... temples etc.)

Remove ads