• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Products based on published novels, films etc.

DragonSword

First Post
I've got some ideas for a product that details corrupt d20 modern organisations, for the PCs to bust into and set straight kindof thing, and some of my ideas are based on novels I've read like I have an idea for something like the lawyer firm in John Grisham's The Firm.

I was wondering in terms of copyright, how much similarity I could get away with, and just the general legal problems and loopholes I'd have to dodge. If there's anyone who's been over this before, or any resident copyright lawyers (?), then I'd love your opinions and help.

Thanks in advance,

James.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I am by no means a laywer, my understanding is that you can't copyright an idea, thus as long as you don't use any specific characters, copy text, and the likes of that, you should be fine.

For an example check you Fantasy Flight's Mechamorphasis.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/hr05.html

It's pretty obviously "D20 Transmormers" but since the don't say "Transformers," "Decipticons," or "Optimus Prime" it's not copyright infringement.

yennico

First Post
I´m also no lawyer, but you can use a law firm as an enviroment for your adventure.
An unnamed law firm as an enviroment for an adventure is not copyrighted :)
You can use the (main) characters of a novel as inspirations or templates for your NPCs, but do not use them totally 1:1 and do not use the same names.
Using the whole story is problematic, but you can use some ideas from the story in your adventure.

DragonSword

First Post
yennico said:
I´m also no lawyer, but you can use a law firm as an enviroment for your adventure.
An unnamed law firm as an enviroment for an adventure is not copyrighted :)
You can use the (main) characters of a novel as inspirations or templates for your NPCs, but do not use them totally 1:1 and do not use the same names.
Using the whole story is problematic, but you can use some ideas from the story in your adventure.

I know, so the book I talked about, the Firm, by John Grisham. It's a great book and would lend itself perfectly to d20 Modern...

What I'm planning is to change it to a financial firm, who deal in stock, shares etc. but use the same behind the scenes ideas. Minus any specific names of course.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
DragonSword said:
I know, so the book I talked about, the Firm, by John Grisham. It's a great book and would lend itself perfectly to d20 Modern...

What I'm planning is to change it to a financial firm, who deal in stock, shares etc. but use the same behind the scenes ideas. Minus any specific names of course.

You do know that saying you based this product on Grisham's work publicly like this could possibly open yourself up to trouble too...

DragonSword

First Post
jaerdaph said:
You do know that saying you based this product on Grisham's work publicly like this could possibly open yourself up to trouble too...
So I should deny all knowledge of the book? No, I just want to write something based on it, and pay homage to a good book - legally... without getting sued.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads