• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profession skill-based Feats

Urklore

First Post
I know the Heroes of Horrors has a feat that gives you a +1 on all knowledge skill checks. Is there a feat that anyone knows off that adds to profession skill checks?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Urklore said:
I know the Heroes of Horrors has a feat that gives you a +1 on all knowledge skill checks. Is there a feat that anyone knows off that adds to profession skill checks?

To put it mildly - why would you want to bother? Profession skills seem to be largely a waste of time and skill points unless your DM is particularly generous (anda +1 bonus won't help you get those synergies...)

Remember - putting a small amount of stuff into your character to make it more flavoursome is fine.

Crippling your character by giving up major benefits is bad news.

boolean

Explorer
Urklore said:

Skill focus (Profession)?

Sure, it only adds to a single profession, but how many do you really need?

Urklore

First Post
Well I wanted to make a bard who has seen it all, travelled the world so to speak. Who has been a cook for a year, a fisherman for 2 years, a spy for another, etc.

Someone who has alot of profession skills to show this.

Side note: As DM, do you requires your PCs to take knowledge local for different areas, or just the skill with penalties to the rolls depending on how far you are aware from your homeland?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Urklore said:
Side note: As DM, do you requires your PCs to take knowledge local for different areas, or just the skill with penalties to the rolls depending on how far you are aware from your homeland?
Just one - basically because to do otherwise make the skill a really, really bad choice. In fact, I'm not even likely to implement penalties for distance either. If someone invests in it, they should get the benefits, no matter where I decide to move the campaign.

If I was specifically running a 'first contact' scenario, then I might impose penalties for an arbitrary time, but I view the skill as having the interest to pick that sort of stuff up, rather than the actual level of knowledge of the character.

If you want your guy to be good at this and that, pick up the feat "jack of all trades", which gives him a half rank in every skill. No bonus, but he can try absolutely anything.

Remove ads