• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Profit warning hits Games Workshop

KenM

Banned
Banned
I got into 40k back in 1993 when that edtion came out, bought alot of minis and all the codexes for the armies and expansions. But after spending about 300.00 on the rules system and books so i could play, they said they are redoing the system. Thats when I got out. I don't like a company that does that to its customers. That is not even counting the cash I put into mini's.
I heard that GW are trying to get people from selling thy're stuff second hand from ebay, ect.. thast crazy.

teitan

Legend
If you ask me I wil take the D&D minis over Warhammer minis any day, random or not. I can build a similar army for faaaaar less money, I don't need useless fluff books just to have a good time. If I want to paint minis, I can strip them and redo them or buy some of the excellent iron Wind Metals or Reaper minis... screw GW, except for WHFRP,, good stuff.

Jason

Talvisota

First Post
OK, "dead wrong" or not, are there any viable alternatives to GW's products out there? I am not too familiar with this part of the gaming universe, so I am not sure what else there is.

Someone is still buying, and apparently buying a lot, even at those wacko prices. Of course, lowering prices is always an open option to them if competition heats up, but apparently there isn't much else absorbing their efforts in the niche they represent.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've heard from friends all over that are still into wargaming that Iron Kingdoms is selling more at shops nowadays. I don't know first hand, but one of the shops I go to that carries both is always nearly out of IK figs, but there are always tons of GW product collecting dust on the shelves. I can't say that that's the case all over, but at least it is in a few areas.

Go Privateer!!!

Kane

Lars Porsenna

First Post
The plastics are getting a little too pricey. I bought the plastic Dwarfs set a few years ago (when it was still $25). The set had 16 figures in it (not even a full unit! I play WAB too, and I rarely have infantry units less than 24 figures...usually closer to 28 or 32), so cost-per-figure was $1.56. Now, at $30 its $1.88. I invested in Harlequin/Black Tree dwarfs -- in metal, with good sculpting -- for the same price as the plastic set.

GW's metals, OTOH, are not THAT bad. For rank & file, the price is competative with other companies like Reaper. The perception of overpriced minis comes from the special units and characters (which ARE expensive on a per-figure basis), but for general units -- not that expensive.

If you find GW's price system odious, there's always historicals. Already play WHFB? Switch to Warhammer Ancient Battles, and spend less than half the cost for historical figures. I'd reccommend WAB for fantasy games just on principle (there ARE some differences, and I think they make for a better game).

As far as competition? There's always niche games. The problems with those, however, are that they have a much more limited appeal. Everyone can identify with orcs, dwarves, elves, etc. Iron Kingdoms? Definitely not my cup of tea, and I think the minis are ugly. Or how about Chronopia? Again, too specific and unique. Confrontation? Minis are expensive and over-the-top. Reaper's Warlord? Why would I want to play a skirmish game when I already play D&D? And so on...

Those are just my opinions, but I think the reason for GW's success is the fact their games are generic enough to have a wide appeal. I could easily use many of the figures in a D&D campaign without batting an eye. Not so with some of the above games...

Damon.

tarchon

First Post
Ya know, when I first saw this thread, I thought to myself "I guess it is that kind of industry where the companies have to warn people if they're going to make a profit."

JoeGKushner

First Post
I thought that they were still making money, just not the amounts they expected to (as they thought that the fandom from LotR would last forever or something...)

JVisgaitis

Explorer
tarchon said:
Ya know, when I first saw this thread, I thought to myself "I guess it is that kind of industry where the companies have to warn people if they're going to make a profit."

Not at all. You can make as much money as you want. Just don't keep highjacking your prices up 10% every single year while doing it. The people that work in the studio and the creativity and fun in their games is excellent. I never denied that. Its the business portion of their business that I don't agree with which those guys have no control over.

Talvisota said:
OK, "dead wrong" or not, are there any viable alternatives to GW's products out there? I am not too familiar with this part of the gaming universe, so I am not sure what else there is.

First off, sorry for the harsh response. I didn't mean to come off like that. Secondly, what type of alternative are you looking for? Alternative game or alternative miniatures? Truth be told, GW is the best in the tabletop minis game business, though I've heard a lot of great things about War Machine. If you just want to play a game with tons of miniatures fighting on each side, try their Warmaster. Great game, much more economical. If you want something that's a ton of fun and is cheap to get into, give Mordheim a try. Best game GW ever released.

I threw the towel on Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. I love the systems, but I don't have the time and the amount of money required doesn't make me want to find it. Plus, I would need people to play with which there isn't a lot of these days. . .

Talvisota

First Post
Just trying to get a grasp of the industry and GW's relative strategy within it. Using ye olde Porter's "five forces" model for corporate strategy, alternative products are a major factor that must be considered. Why are they successful when there are so many attractive competetors/alternative products around? The controversial yet effecitve distribution lock they have? I should really look into this industry more. Sorry for my ignorance.

As an aside, the alternative products factor is why D&D and RPGs in general suffered so much after the heydays of the 80's. You just started having more options to satisfy your fantasy fix, like video games for example. The audience shrank to a more dedicated core.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads