• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Projector suggestions?

Thraug

First Post
I could use suggestions and tips on purchasing a projector to cast RP maps onto my gaming table. I read all of the applicable threads on here but, with tech changes as they are, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a (modern) projector that fits my needs:

• No more than $750
  • Distance from the top of my table to the ceiling is 4'2", with maybe 1' of extra space above my drop ceiling where I can mount the projector
  • I would like a display area of ~6' by ~4' (my gaming table is 8' x 6')
  • It'll mostly be used to project (all sorts of) maps for RP games
  • If it's possible, I would like to attach the projector to a mount that allows the projector to swivel 90 degrees so I can also project images onto my wall

I don't know where to begin. My first thought was to use this Projection Calculator Classic site to help me choose a projector. This site allows you to enter a make and model to see throw distances and screen sizes. Very handy tool.

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Last edited:

falcarrion

First Post
Besides the lemens and throw ratio, check out the interfaces it has. Most come with a monitor out option. Running a cable from that output to a tv or monitor on the wall would be better than readjusting the projector just to show something on a wall.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
What is the recommended brightness to keep the projected screen nice and bright under regular room lights? I have a buddy that said he wouldn't want less than 4000 lumens but works with a lot of more expensive business projectors.

Thraug

First Post
I use the Epson EX71.
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Display Size: 33" – 318"
Display Colors: 16.77 Million
Native Resolution: 1280 x 800
Brightness: 2500 lumens
Contrast Ratio: 2000:1

Heres all the Specs.
Epson EX 71 Specs (LCD projector) - Home Theater Projectors - CNET Reviews

Works Great.

I use it with my game Table.
cyderak's deviantART gallery
Aesthetically Its not finished yet, but functionality-wise its in working order.

Thanks for the info. I looked up your projector and I'm pretty sure it's has a widescreen 16:10 aspect ratio. Can you tell me:

• Is this is the case?
  • What distance is the end of the projector to your "screen"?
  • What is the max dimensions it throws for you?

Thanks!!

Thraug

First Post
What is the recommended brightness to keep the projected screen nice and bright under regular room lights? I have a buddy that said he wouldn't want less than 4000 lumens but works with a lot of more expensive business projectors.

I would also like to know this. I see a LOT of projected gaming tables pics that were taken in darkened or dark rooms. I would like to play without turning out or even dimming the lights. My game room isn't super bright, but the room (20x25') is fully lit.

Thraug

First Post
As I do more research, another question comes up.

When specs refer to "lens shift and zoom controls", do these mean the projected image can be moved (up/down & left/right) and scaled?

One projector I was looking at (Optoma GameTime GT720) does NOT have lens shift and zoom controls. If these do what I think they do, I would think we would want these features to slightly adjust the location projected image on our game board, to account for mounts that can't be perfectly centered, and of course because we cant adjust the distance the projector is from the table (without raising/lowering the table or ceiling!).

Thraug

First Post
Sorry for the spam, but I'm learning a lot and believe it will help others. I found out how projectors can account for not being mounted in what's known as the "vertical center" position. Definitions, and great links with pics to better describe and show these:

Lens shift:
Lens shift allows the projector to be positioned above or below the projected image's vertical center, yet horizontally, not pointing towards the center of the screen.

Keystone Correction:
Keystone correction adjusts for the fact that if a projector is directed towards the screen at an angle, the projected image will be distorted; the edge furthest away from the projector will be wider than the edge closest to the projector.

From what I've read, most projectors use (Digital) Keystone Correction instead lens shift.

Remove ads