• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prometheus [Spoilers]

frankthedm

First Post
Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
My first thought was that Earth was seeded to eventually be a farm planet to create hosts for their WMD warrior race with the idea that they could somehow harvest them and drop them onto other planets rather than fight their own wars. Not a perfect theory but its what struck me as a possible explanation.

Too many questions; too many plot holes. WAY too many. Too much abject character stupidity. WAY too much. I can appreciate that they may have wanted to leave some mystery and "alien" motivations in place, especially if it was intended to fuel a sequel or two, but the adage about movies is that you SHOW, not tell, or you'll lose the audience.

For starters, did IQ's suddenly drop sharply at some point before the beginning of the movie? Let's go visit an alien world but without any provisions, either technological or procedural, to ward against potential alien infestation, viruses, bacteria, disease. In fact, let's just all remove our helmets the moment we see that there's breatheable air? Let's laugh and play pattycake with the UTTERLY UNKOWN quantity of the first appearance of an alien species? Especially when that alien is an ANIMAL and not the Engineer you were expecting to find? Since you just found a giant bleepin' dead alien and WATCHED IT DIE as it ran through the corridors with all the other engineers on AlienYouTube, W - T - F???? The only one with a SHRED of intelligence was Vickers who brought her own super-lifeboat and got into a suit at the first report of trouble.

The whole expedition was supposed to be to go talk to the Engineers, whether to say, "Gee, thanks Dad!" or to say, "Can you cure old age and the sudden drop in IQ's on our planet?" If Weyland has David to be his interpreter and knows how to read a star map what does he need Shaw and Holloway for?

What the hell was David doing and why? I can grasp that he may have been given a sense of curiosity but why in Gods name can't somebody dredge up enough sanity to hit him with a blunt object and scream, "STOP touching everything unless we ASK you to do so you blundering, bone-headed trap finder!" Why the hell would he deliberately infect someone with unknown substances when it clearly presents an unspeakable risk to the man paying the quadrillion dollar bills in order to LIVE?

If there are 3-d mapping widgets flying about, and hologramatic tracking displays on the ship, and everyone's communications ARE still working before the storm - how the _F_ does anyone get LOST on their way back to the ship?

If you're a space jockey what's your motivation to commit suicide in order to populate the Earth? Especially when you're going to come back and destroy your handiwork with new bioweapons? It's like having E.T. spending months developing a loving bond with Elliot only to face-rape him with his glowing finger and impale little alcoholic Drew Barrymore on a pike as a way of waving goodbye. Again, I understand we may be dealing with alien motivations which may change over several millenia - but can we at least have a LITTLE clue? Maybe just a vowel? I mean the jockey at the end seems motivated to exterminate humanity at the end there and Shaws reaction is, "Earth can take care of itself from aliens with stockpiles of liquid death-by-rape. I just want to know why our ancestral parents are so angry with us and why our IQ's dropped so sharply."

Yeah the movie looked cool, but the whole thing made about as much sense as Starman or E.T. as directed by David Lynch.

Joker

First Post
I watched it for a second time and I have some new insights into this flick.

It's not a horror or a thriller but an action movie which is light on action. I said before that it was too bright and I read somewhere that the brightness has to be cranked up for 3D because otherwise it would be too dark with your glasses on. This would explain why the scenes are uniformly lit and would explain the discrepancy in lighting with the trailer and the movie. The former being far more dark and atmospheric than the latter.

I've learned to turn my brain off for the most part when watching movies so that I don't sit there being frustrated by some of the silliness on screen but afterwards I discussed this with my friend and the cynical side of me took over. Let me elaborate on and add to the list of dumb behavior that the Man in the Funny Hat made:

You spent a trillion dollars on this project and the crew don't know each other yet? I would think that with something of this magnitude you would spend some of your budget on personality screening and crew compatibility.

You've come all this way and decide to land right away without taking the time to scan the surface or send probes down to find a safe landing spot.

They enter the room with the giant head and no-one, not any-one in the room is in awe or even a little surprised that it is a human head. No-one but David, who seems to be the only one who makes the human observations.

The geologist who's just mapped the structure can't find his way back to the outside.

The biologist is confronted with a snake like alien who has given him nearly every verbal and non-verbal signal an animal can give you telling you to f*** off. He still wants to play with it.

Two of our guys are missing. We could have checked their cameras but really, why put in the effort.

Pieces of glass moving in excess of 200 kph should really turn a suited person into swiss cheese.

Most of my other gripes are with the near complete lack of characterization, excepting David. It's possibly just my perception of things, but I have this feeling that expensive productions in the last 10 years or so have abandoned characterization in favor of moving the plot forward. I understand why, or think I do. You don't need characters to sell a movie. You need stuff happening to the characters to sell a movie. My problem with that is that if I don't perceive the characters as human beings I do not care about what happens to them. As such, I'm not taken on an emotional roller coaster ride which American cinema can and has very often exemplified.
In Alien, we had the crew come out of cryosleep and then sit around the table and talk. They talked for a few minutes. And just those few minutes were needed to set up the relationships between the characters and to round them out as human beings.
There's little in the way of talking in Prometheus. In fact, the biologist wants to strike up a conversation and he gets struck down ending the scene.
The relentless exposition and build up of plot becomes boring for me without an invested emotional interest.

I have to disagree with you frankthedm, I wouldn't put this movie on the same level of classic science fiction. Science fiction is all about exploring the human condition in fantastical and extreme situations. The premise was sci-fi enough but the development of the story consisted of people getting slaughtered without any real reaction from the rest of the crew. In fact, the only exploration of human behavior I saw was David and his interactions with the rest of the crew. Even that was limited. We mostly had people talk to him in a condescending tone.

Allegedly, Ridley Scott said in an interview that this movie was a vehicle for his personal philosophical and religious views. If this is true, that would really rub me the wrong way.
Take this with a grain of salt. I have to ask if my friend can send me a youtube link of the interview. So far I only have this link from a yahoo interview.

Joker

First Post
My first thought was that Earth was seeded to eventually be a farm planet to create hosts for their WMD warrior race with the idea that they could somehow harvest them and drop them onto other planets rather than fight their own wars. Not a perfect theory but its what struck me as a possible explanation.

This was my thinking as wel. The Engineers were using us as weapons to fight another species or perhaps other members of the same species.

Nellisir

Hero
OK, here's what I gathered & hypothesized from one viewing.
- the Engineers created life on earth.
- They made periodic visits back; reason unknown.
- they were going to come visit about 2000 years ago, but everything went tooth-shaped and lots of dying happened. Absolutely no idea what happened to the killers.

- the jars (I keep thinking canopic jars, but that is probably just my associations) are filled with "goo". The goo is similar to X-Files' "black oil".
- David (creepy android is creepy) gets Charlie (aka male archeologist, aka guy that gets nookie time with Noomi Rapace) to ingest a tiny drop of goo by putting it in his drink (note: alcohol does not kill goo).
- people who ingest goo either blow up or turn into homocidal zombies (the fast kind, not the shamblers. See: Engineer head, Fifield.
- Charlie, post-exposure but pre-blatant symptoms, has nookie with Noomi Rapace (whose character might have a name but I didn't care). Goo+sperm+egg = 4 tentacled-squid-like-facehugger with inexplicable and reality-busting growth powers.

- Meanwhile, back in the Ancient Alien Military Base, little worms in the dirt get some goo too. Why don't worms go apeshit and kill each other? No idea. Maybe they do. But worms+goo= really icky, not cute, leechtype facehugger with acid blood. Attacks Milburn, is "decapitated" by Fifield; acidic blood destroys Fifield's helmet, exposing him to goo (and eventually homocidal zombie tendencies); decapitation proves creature's brain and sensory organs are not in it's "head", as it unerringly locates and goes into Milburn's throat, presumably killing him from the inside with acid, and not successfully gestating itself.

- Stuff happens, Engineer and Giant Alien Squid Facehugger square off in what is actually a pretty neat scene, but facehugger wins and implants in Engineer. Some time later, Alien/xenomorph emerges, not identical to "later" versions, but clearly related.

Major conclusions:
- goo has a really f'ed-up lifecycle.
- no idea why aliens' lay eggs that look like canopic jars but hold facehuggers.
- No idea what happened to alien/xenomorphs that burst out of Engineers 2k years ago.
- no idea why there are crabtype facehuggers in the jars at the beginning of Alien, unless a) jars were being reused, or b) some other creature transformed into a facehugger (crabtype, not leechtype or squidtype), and was "nesting" or "cocooning" in the jars.
- Noomi Rapace really didn't stick around long enough to have much idea what the frack was going on, although David might be able to make some conclusions.
- Noomi Rapace's character is not Ripley.
- Vickers is an idiot, and so are engineers on Earth. Who the frack designs a multi-million, or billion, dollar automatic surgery machine, and then makes it only work on one gender? And why the frack would Vickers have one in her room? Sure, it could be for Weyland, but isn't he in a different part of the ship? And if the stupid thing can't operate on women, how come it can't tell the difference, particularly IN THE MIDDLE OF ABDOMINAL SURGERY?

- Also, apparently there are no more old actors working, making it necessary to put Guy Pierce in 10 lbs of crappy wrinkle makeup and do a bad caricature of an elderly man for no discernable reason.
- Also, the future will allow you to know exactly how long you have to live, so you can use your last 24 hours by hobbling up to your creator and getting whacked on the head.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
New Conclusions after reading Stuff on the Interwebz:
- apparently this planet is LV-223, and the Alien planet is LV-426
- one hypothesis is that during the Bad Times a ship took off from LV-223 with an implanted queen xenomorph in the pilot; alien hatchs, ship crashes on LV-426; queen lays eggs. Absolutely no idea why they look like canopic jars. 2k years later, enter Ripley.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I had to share this with you guys.

Prometheus is out. I was so stoked for this film that you could tie a flag on me wee-wee and let it flutter in the breeze. I saw it...and, I was disappointed. I liked it...OK. But, it didn't give me what I wanted and expected.

I felt like the film was trying to be more of a sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey than a prequel to Alien.

Well, it turns out that the film really is quite deep. Most of what I'm about to lead you to flew right over my head (and I'm sometimes real good at seeing symbolism and deep meanings in films). But, I totally missed the ball on this one.

Take a gander at this web page: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
Even if you don't agree, there's lots provided there to fire up your grey matter, leading to long, all-night discussions. It's cool stuff.

BUT DON'T READ UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE FILM!

S4

Remove ads