[proposal] Adjustments to the character approval process.

Someone

Adventurer
First a disclaimer: Character is a process that takes really long. This is not a complaint, it’s a fact. I don’t think it’s the judges fault: I know they do what they can and more, but 4e characters are so full of fiddly details and obscure sources that fully reviewing a character is quite time consuming. This proposal is intended to actually reduce the number of characters that need approval and therefore reducing the workload on judges.

Proposed approval process:

Only characters that leave an adventure need judge approval, if they have leveled at least once while in said adventure.

Characters are otherwise reviewed when they join an adventure, either by the adventure’s judge, the DM or a fellow player. This early review should at the very least make sure the character doesn’t have major design or math errors that could compromise the adventure, be unfair to other players, or put him at an considerable disadvantage, and also that his background roughly fits character creation guidelines. Discrepancies if they arise should be discussed with a judge.

First level characters or characters in their first adventure can earn experience having only this early (non-judge) review. 2nd level or higher characters can earn experience once they have the judge approval for their last adventure and the start-of-adventure review from a non-judge.

Benefits of this system: Judges won’t have to deal with 1st level character submissions, only with acharacters that complete an adventure so if some day you think for whatever reason a minotaur swordmage would be a neat idea and hastily make it on the CB they won’t need to waste time judging that character that most likely won’t see any adventure.

Many (I daresay most) 1st level characters start adventuring without approval, and receive it as they finish the adventure and experience is awarded. The proposal fits the rules to reality, and at least makes sure the characters get some polishing, even if it doesn’t come from a judge.

Lastly, for higher level characters they’ll receive the same level of attention they get right now, as they’ll need a judge and a non judge review to be fully approved and be able to earn experience.

Tenchuu

First Post
I like to DM, but I am in no way qualified to review a character sheet for completeness; I just don't know the system that well. So my only caution would be, how would this system work if the DM didn't want to or couldn't do the initial review?

Someone

Adventurer
I assume the DM would be the most interested in keeping the game out of trouble, but just anyone, a player in the game, the adventure's judge or any other player could do the initial review, not only the DM.

Dekana

Explorer
I think this proposal is backwards; 1st level characters are the most important to review. Mistakes in characters sheets are usually introduced during creation, not when gaining a level. I'd rather us find and fix errors before the players get used to having them, especially if there are problems with at-will powers or feats that are used very often. It's more painful make changes after first level.

For example, I initially made my mage with a background benefit that isn't permitted in this setting. It was a significant part of the build, so I had to adjust my ability scores during creation. It would have been hard to make that change after I'd already been playing the character for a few months in real time - the entire character concept changed because of the error.

Since we already allow approvals only at the end of adventures, other than the initial approval, I don't think this proposal is necessary. We should promote more judges or find a better system of notifying people about approval requests. Maybe it would help to have a forum thread for "requesting approval" posts in addition to the e-mails, especially since non-judges can give one of the two approvals.

Someone

Adventurer
1st level characters are the most important to review. Mistakes in characters sheets are usually introduced during creation, not when gaining a level.

I agree. However notice that the curent system allows 1st level characters to start an adventure without any approval at all, just the DM's consent, even though they can't gain experience. I have a character that spent months wothout being approved even when he was in an adventure, and I've DM'ed a complete (and I admit, short) adventure with completely unaproved characters. I don't have many reasons to believe those are exceptions, so I believe this proposal wouldn't change how things work right now, would adjust the rule to reality, and make sure 1st level characters have some review, even if it's from a non-judge, before they actually go adventuring.

FourMonos

First Post
okay, so if I am going to help review some character sheets, how do I update when it is done so they get the second review?

how do you (meaning myself, a non-judge) make sure that work isn't being duplicated somewhere else (someone isn't already reviewing)?

Someone

Adventurer
okay, so if I am going to help review some character sheets, how do I update when it is done so they get the second review?

how do you (meaning myself, a non-judge) make sure that work isn't being duplicated somewhere else (someone isn't already reviewing)?

Didn't thought of that. Since the review are done at the start of the adventure, whoever is interested dould post in the adventure thread what sheet is reviewing and when done, edit the character's thread as is done right now.

FourMonos

First Post
Well, actually, that would be a good solution in this scenario, but I was also just asking a general question as well.

[MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION] How do I let the judges know when I'm reviewing a character? I've always recieved emails that my character was reviewed, so I do I reciprocate?

renau1g

First Post
In the past (in my pre-judge time) I'd just email the judges and let them know I did a review on PC X. If I had comments to address I'd PM the player here so they could correct first.

Remove ads