Proposal - Increase Time XP/Gold

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Incarnation just hit level 3; he was the third character in the Tavern when we opened. DM pacing does create a large variance which is part of the reason we have time XP.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm... not entirely enthused by this. One of the reasons we doubled encounter xp in the first place was that we thought time XP was overshadowing it in relevance. I'd rather have my characters level by killing things and finishing quests, than by just marking time.

I know this is harder on players in slow games, and I do have some sympathy for this. My ability to follow games has fallen behind the number of games springing up here, so I don't know how some of them are faring. But, eh.

Not voting no yet, but leaning in that direction.

renau1g

First Post
Well Just as a sample, I wrapped up Fire & Ice yesterday.

Total XP for the last 2 encounters + Quest xp = 5040 xp/5 = 1008 each (This was all doubled) It shouldn't take too much longer than 1 month for a normal encounter + RP time.

Total Time xp = 166 xp (lvl 1's) each - or 208 xp (lvl 2's)

If you assume 60 days or so for this last leg of the addy - 16.8 xp/day encounter xp and 2.75 - 3.47 xp/day for time xp. It's about 14-17% of the total xp.

Time XP only overshadows when adventures aren't moving quickly.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
That's true, ren. But the rate that most adventures move gave approximately equal time XP and encounter/quest XP before the doubling encounter XP proposal.

I do, however, like the suggestion garyh made. Time XP is the only reward that characters who stick through a DM disappearance get, and as it is it's pretty small compared to what they could be getting in an active adventure. Even if we only double the time XP they get during the time they don't have a DM it'll help them out.

covaithe

Explorer
Maybe something like, "If a DM needs to be replaced, and the adventure is delayed for a minimum of two weeks / one month / whatever, the PC's in that adventure get double the normal time XP for the period of the delay."?

I'd go for that. In fact, I'll go ahead and say YES on that right now.

garyh

First Post
I suggested it, so I don't think I can vote for it, but I approve of my idea. ;)

The only caveats I see is if we should stipulate a minimum time of delay, and we should probably specify the "period of delay." Probably something like "from the last post of the previous DM to the first game-advancing post of the new DM." This would allow the players to still accrue double time XP while the new DM gets up to speed, which can sometimes take a little time.

renau1g

First Post
So because you didn't formally propose it gary:

I propose the following:

"If a DM needs to be replaced, and the adventure is delayed for a minimum of two weeks, the PC's in that adventure get double the normal time XP for the period of the delay. The delay shall be counted from the last post of the previous DM to the first game-advancing post of the new DM."

there, now you can vote on it.

Remove ads