Proposal: New Option for Character Retirement

evilbob

Explorer
Wait:

Using the rules as shown and following the above examples, if you're a newly level 8 character with 13,000 XP, you can retire with these rules and get:
- a level 7 character (fully equipped? how does that work?), starting at 10,000 XP
- 13,000 / 2 = 6,500 XP, which you can apply to any character

So I choose to apply my 6,500 XP to the level 7 character and now he is level 9 with 16,500 XP. I just leveled up by retiring.

I think you meant to word it like Dekana interpreted it. That way, you get:
- a level 7 character (fully equipped? how does that work?), starting at 10,000 XP
- 13,000 - 10,000 (level 7) = 3000, divided by 2 = 1500 XP to apply to any character

So you can choose to take the level 7 guy 1/2way to 8 or start a new level 2 character. This bonus XP will be pretty insignificant at low levels, tho.

Is that correct?

covaithe

Explorer
When you retire a character you can replace it with a new character UP TO one level lower than it. Any exp lost in this way (a minimum of one level's worth by definition) is divided in half and credited to the player, trackable on a wiki page the same as DM Credits are.

Bold and underline mine. So in your example of retiring a level 8 character to get a level 7 character, you're only losing 3000 xp.

LadyLaw

First Post
I worded it correctly. My example was poor. Your second example is correct.

The reason it may have sounded wrong to you is because I used such a low level character as an example. By default a level 2 character starting over at level 1 would go to 0 exp and all the exp would be lost.

The example chose was partially due to the debate about people making throw-away characters, but I should have chosen a better one (like yours) when I made this thread.

You could still boost a low-level character significantly with the bonus exp, you just don't gain a significant bonus to higher level characters when you retire a low-level one, but that is also part of the point.

Edit: Thanks, Covaithe. :D

Edit2: Also, keep in mind that the bonus exp doesn't need to be applied to a new character. If you also had a level 5 warrior hanging around, he could get that 1500 exp boost. The real intent behind this is to give the remaining characters a little bit of a boost (since everyone can have three now). You aren't limited to boosting the replacement character with it, because that would be silly. Based on:
So you can choose to take the level 7 guy 1/2way to 8 or start a new level 2 character.
I wasn't sure if that was clear.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
I was just wondering what are the rules for a death character, and how these new rules will interact with death characters rules.

Remove ads