• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Proposal: Petition for PoL to be released to SRD

Since the end of 4e, the 4e fans have lamented that PoL, the nerathian derived pseudo campaign world has languished, never fully developed into what it could be. Part of the charm of PoL was that it was not set in stone.

What if WotC were to give PoL to the DMguild? It would appease many a 4e convert to 5e, greating goodwill amongst a group that feels it got shafted in many ways with 5e's design. It would allow a world that they are sitting on with no obvious intent to use to see some light of day, without lifting a finger. And because it would be all done by divergent fan/indie producers, PoL would still have the what ever you want to define feel, as each product and module could have slightly different versions of the world.

I think we should start a petition.

What does everyone else think?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think that patience, rather than a petition, will result in a satisfying conclusion since WotC has already expressed that DMs Guild contributions are limited to the Forgotten Realms for now.

S

Sunseeker

Petitions are a waste of time. They're not legally binding but fans act like they are.

Just send them an encouraging letter saying you'd love to see the PoL setting released in the DMGuild. I'm sure they'll take that better than 500 angry nerds signing a petition.

The SRD is not the DMs Guild. The DMs Guild uses neither the SRD nor the OGL.

Adding Nerath to the SRD is undesirable as it is the definition of product identity and even Paizo doesn't put their world into their reference document.

You mean to say Nerath/Nentire Vale should be added to the DMs Guild settings in addition to the Realms.
Okay, that could be interesting.
However, so much of Nerath was open. The intent was that it was going to be a framework DMs could use to build upon and there would be no firm setting. Any expansion defeats the purpose of the setting. And because it's meant to be generic, pretty much any expansion of the setting, any agnostic adventure or location, is an expansion of the setting. So WotC doesn't need to add Nerath to the list since any non-Realms product effectively already works.

dave2008

Legend
And because it's meant to be generic, pretty much any expansion of the setting, any agnostic adventure or location, is an expansion of the setting. So WotC doesn't need to add Nerath to the list since any non-Realms product effectively already works.

That is not quite true. By the end of 4e there was a lot of 4e info released that I would love to convert to 5e. They did provide quite a bit of setting information in the end that would be nice to have access to on the Guild.

dracomilan

Explorer
I would really like this.

PoL/Nerath/Dawn War is quite '4e generic' - it has a distinctive, heroic feeling to it, with a perfect integration of dragonborns, tieflings et al - while I feel that 'generic' D&D is more sword&sorcery.

dave2008

Legend
I would really like this.

PoL/Nerath/Dawn War is quite '4e generic' - it has a distinctive, heroic feeling to it, with a perfect integration of dragonborns, tieflings et al - while I feel that 'generic' D&D is more sword&sorcery.

I really like the Dawn War and would like to include material based on that personally. I know the 5e books do mention the "Dawn War" pantheon, but I don't know if it is in the SRD or not.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If anything PoL is a little more S&S in feel than more typical D&D settings, which are very high-fantasy, or at least, very high-magic.

But, the Dawn War has plenty of IP proper-nouns wrapped up in it. The general PoL concept could probably be used, just without the proper nouns. The Dawn War is not that wildly different from the Titans/Gods conflict of Greek mythology, that could always be used as a public-domain proxy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads