(Proposal / Small God) Cloudeater

The Goblin King

First Post
The being is only known as Cloudeater. His true name is hidden. Those who know it dare not speak it for fear of attracting his attention. Most stories tell that he is a terrible dragon that lives in Mount Yurgind. The truth is that he IS Mount Yurgind. The name comes from the fact that no rain falls within 200 miles of him. This has caused the unnatural badlands that lie east of Earling. Cloudeater has no clerics and gives no spells.

There are conflicting stories as to how Cloudeater came to be. Some say he always was since the begining of time. Others say that he was a Star Moth that hated his place in the sky so much that he fell to earth. One story tells of an evil man who wished to become a god. Ieranth cursed him to semi-divine status. He can never become more then what he is now. That fact drove him mad. Cloudeater is a small god of unending hate and overarching ambition.

Adventure Ideas: Despite the fact that there are no clerics of Cloudeater, there is one Kobold adept who claims that Cloudeater spoke to him directly in his dreams. The Kobold known as Rinklusus says he is a prophet of the mountain and that soon the power of Cloudeater will cover ENWorld. He proselytizes somewhat ineffectually on the streets of Severus claiming that his followers will be greatly rewarded when rain no longer falls on the world.

Here is an incomplete map of the Earling region. There is a lot of blank map but it gives some idea of where things are.

Attachments

• Earling Region.jpg
    Earling Region.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The Goblin King said:
The being is only known as Cloudeater. His true name is hidden. Those who know it dare not speak it for fear of attracting his attention. Most stories tell that he is a terrible dragon that lives in Mount Yurgind. The truth is that he IS Mount Yurgind. The name comes from the fact that no rain falls within 200 miles of him. This has caused the unnatural badlands that lie east of Earling. Cloudeater has no clerics and gives no spells.

well, you get props from me for including my creation of Earling and the surrounding area. ;) Though Arden is on the other side of the mountains and connected by Big/Little pass not a main road.

But more seriously, its an interesting idea. I like the idea of some folks coming to worship Cloudeater, easpecially adepts of the savage races who live in the badlands... Technicly even if he doesn't grant spells you could have some lower powered godless clerics who pay him homage while being fueled mostly by their rage against the rest of the world.

Since this is not a true diety, could high level adventurers in the far future of LEW be capable of actually taking it on and freeing the badlands from their harsh climate? This may be relevant to establishing it in the world now.

Kahuna Burger

The Goblin King

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
Since this is not a true diety, could high level adventurers in the far future of LEW be capable of actually taking it on and freeing the badlands from their harsh climate? This may be relevant to establishing it in the world now.

Yes. But they would have to destroy the entire mountain. Not even the smallest pebble could remain. Difficult but certainly not impossible. I'd say Epic characters would be up to the job.

Edit: Fixed the map. The semi-dotted line is actually supposed to be trade routes.

Last edited:

Sparky

And props from me for including Ieranth. If Ieranth doesn't get approved, I'd suggest changing that part to say that he was cursed by a dead god or stole that now-dead god's divinity somehow. Any which way it comes out - nice write up. Cloudeater is cool hooks galore.

:)

The Goblin King

First Post
Sparky said:
If Ieranth doesn't get approved, I'd suggest changing that part to say that he was cursed by a dead god or stole that now-dead god's divinity somehow.
:)

Thats cool, thanks. Dead gods would fit right in. I was keeping it vauge and mysterious so that it would be easier to retcon if anything in the future came up that contradicted it.

Remove ads